Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When is enough enough?!!

Alone in the Wilderness

When is enough enough?!!

Hi everyone,

This is my first ever thread so just thought I'd try n get a gist of who's the most hardcore among you!!!

So, having been out with Phil n Ash a couple of times n really enjoyed it, was cold my first night in a hammock and it did rain a fair bit on the trapping course but never enough to deter anyone-what is/has been the final straw when out n about living minimally when you've thought, forget this, I'm off home to my warm chair n slippers, put the leccy kettle on, sit down on a foam filled sofa n veg out!?!?

Looking forward to meeting you all in the near future and learning more and more about realism

Tom

My most memorable for discomfort would have to have been winter 3 years ago when I camped out in a hammock and it was -19c

That was a bit emotional!!

Ade.

I have never hit rock bottom as a civilian. And when I have not been a civillian I have had no choice in the matter, but sort of controlled as we would have been pulled out if the situation had gotten life treathening, as this was training situations in the army. And I am rather proud of myself for getting through that, knowing that you cxan always endure more than you think you can.

But this summer f.ex, if the rain got to where I would be soaked if I stayed out, I packed up and went home. I could have stayed out, but do not feel the need to prove anything. Only it could have been avoided with better gear, or just a tarp....but then I would have been bored out of my mind sitting under that tarp.

So during the latter half of the winter I will start to kit up to get my kit up to a arctic winter standards where if I conduct myself right, I will manage to stay dry, keep warm and comfy down to the temps Adrian talks about, and survive at twice that cold...I know it can be done. As I have done it with much worse kit than what I plan to aquire...only doing it in a hammock instead, and not having my squad mates to help look after me...

But then again. If things got that out of hand that I was in a survival situation, I would either go home, or if not possible, dig a snow shelter. But as the Norwegian Mountain code says...it's: There is no shame in aborting, and turn back to a safe place. Double true for me, as my physical condition is so bad, that I really have no business being out if things may turn that bad.
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 13-01-2013 at 09:02 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

The baddest I have seen was -39 degrees celcius. But we were sheltered in a tent, with a proper snow wall, and a cold pit, with a wood stove that was red hot half a meter up the pipe, and jammed in with my squad, on top of spruce branches and reindeer hides, with the fresh recruits as wind shields around the edges *evil grin*.

The next morning the temps had risen to a balmy -29, when we pulled out and got down from the hills.

The baddest temp ever experinced was -45 at Svalbard when I grew up, and got severe frostbite in my feet, before we got back to the cabin...I can still remember the pain as my feet thawed up, and I have been plagued by cold feet ever since.
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 13-01-2013 at 09:47 PM.
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Alone in the Wilderness
    Wow pretty extreme, like you say-there's no shame in going home! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tsaco View Post
    Wow pretty extreme, like you say-there's no shame in going home! Thanks
    Not really. It's just growing up in an arctic country. Any Alaskan, Canadian, Scandinavian, Russian, Northern Japanese or Inuit can tell the same stories. Most of them more impressive than mine.
    And wit the right kit, it's not really a big problem. You just need the right kit, and know how and when to use it. And there are plenty of environments where I would be in real troeubel in other parts of the word. As I do not necesarily recognice when it's time to throw in the towel and head for home.

Here I know, because I know the climate, I know my kit and I know my limits. And most imprtantly I know that nature is a b***

Well well, I think my words are getting to large and arm-chair-know-it-all like.
    (Roald Amundsen)

I forgot to bring beer to the hunt camp one time and was forced to live for an entire week on nothing but food and water...

Quote Originally Posted by treefrog View Post
    I forgot to bring beer to the hunt camp one time and was forced to live for an entire week on nothing but food and water...
    Nice one LOL ... nothing worse
    * LIFE IS GOOD *

Yes - ask Biker Bri. Nothing worse than surviving on Highland Spring water only

Quote Originally Posted by treefrog View Post
    That sort of deprivation goes far beyond normal suffering
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”