Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little something in return

Hobo

A little something in return

Good afternoon all. I have hovered around the edges of the site forums for an age now and you are all so wonderfully generous with your knowledge and advice.
    I wanted you to see that advice in action.
    Now I'm an absolute novice at bushcraft but having read forums and watched the vids I decided to have a little go. (Forgot the camera for this part guys so sorry).
    So a little report for you.
    Location Local football pitch (It's surrounded by trees). Not a great venue but didn't want to stretch myself. Yet!
    Activities extracting birch sap/using birch bark.
    Date 07/04/2013.
    Weather Snow! Only light and not settling.
    Persons. Me Aka Paul aka Dad. My 2 Sons aka big un and little un aka trouble and oh god what's he done now. AKA Daniel and Owen. And Barney AKA That bloody loopy Springer.
    Took myself and the boys off on our usual walk of the dog but went with the intention of trying to show the boys a little of what I'd learnt from you generous souls.
    I had intended to identify a Birch and show the boys that water could be got from the tree and that the bark had a huge variety of uses. (I knew that the youngest would be keen but the eldest is a pre-teen fascinated by all things technological and I thought I may struggle to hold his attention). After a couple of trees that I thought could perhaps of been Birch I'd almost given up on a positive ID when boom without any question (even for me) a Birch.
    Using our knives (we only have Opinels at the moment) we managed to get sap flowing well from the Birch although couldn't manage to get it to flow down a spill/tap? and into a bottle. Also removed a small amount of the papery bark and demonstrated how well it burns. Took a slightly thicker section (being careful to not go too deep) and showed the boys how it could be shaped.
    Both lads absolutely fascinated by it all full of questions and keen to learn more.
    Retrieved loopy spaniel from large boggy area and headed home.
    Back at home we worked on a penny stove together and I have discovered the joys of paracord and cobra weaving.
    I'll try and post piccys but it'll be nothing you guys haven't seen before just wanted to give a bit back to the forums.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0089.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	7705 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0092.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	7706

Needless to say I had packed a 1st Aid kit in case of cuts as we were carrying sharps.

We have a large managed pine type forest about 30 minutes hike away so the next few weeks should see a report of a trip into the woods to collect Maya sticks.

Paul and the kids (and dog).

hi Paul, keep up the good work.

Nice one Paul,Atb with it all.......................Dont get eaten by the bears.............Tony.

Hi Paul and welcome,

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pslewis View Post
    Both lads absolutely fascinated by it all full of questions and keen to learn more.
    Retrieved loopy spaniel from large boggy area and headed home.
    This may not be a blessing, it could end up costing you a small fortune, 3 of everything becomes expensive...

Fortunately for me, both my lads just think I'm weird, and if it hasn't got 4 wheels, the eldest isn't interested, and if it can't be played on a thing called an X-box, the youngest lad just grunts.....

Oh dear, I'll just have to suffer solitude in the woods, but the best thing is, the dogs love it.......

Welcome aboard,
    Last edited by Sar-ian; 08-04-2013 at 08:32 AM.
    non est vivere sed valere vita est life is more than being alive..........ALWAYS GIVE MORE THAN YOU TAKE

Ask not for a lighter load, but a stronger back.....

Trapper
    hello and welcome! good to hear you had a positive first experience best of luck with future endeavors.

We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

[

Hello and from me too

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    & thanks for sharing your family experience in TGO
    Regards
    David
    Ps. Hope the football pitch you refer to wasn't Pittodrie Stadium