View Poll Results: How do you camp most of the time?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hammock

30 42.86%
  • Ground

40 57.14%
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Hammock or Ground?

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Question Hammock or Ground?

How do you camp the majority of the time?
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Ground because I don't have a hammock. Hammocks interest me because camping in the wet just ends up with mud everywhere.

Ground dweller. Have often thought about, and looked at, hammocks but I know the ground is always there whereas trees are not. The travel hammock has got me thinking though, but the weight of this along with a tarp and accesories adds up to as much as my Banshee so I'm going through the justification process at the moment which probably means I will get one in the not too distant future

Alone in the Wilderness
    I used to be a ground type of guy until one night under Helvellyn when it was raining cats and dogs, everyone got soaked from the ground up apart from me. I was swinging in the trees and apart from a drip running down the cord (won't happen again) I was dry as a bone under my tarp. Lovely. Swinging all the time now!

Used to be a ground dweller too, but then when I left the Army I got tangled up in a genetic mutation accident and became half Monkey. Now I Surf like a monkey, jump (off cliffs) like a monkey and I have an irresistable urge to climb trees. So sleeping in trees feels more natural to me now.
    I use a travel hammock so the ground can be an option, but I've not tried using it as a bivi bag yet.
    In all seriousness, Matt introduced me to hammocks, and I was dubious, but after my first night swinging in a tree I've not looked back.
    Storms have a way of teaching what nothing else can.

ALWAYS Leave a Trace

Ground, but looking forward to venturing into the trees soon.

Alone in the Wilderness
    I feel a song coming on.... Wellllllllll, I'm the king of the swingers yeah... sorry, couldn't resist! Ex-army also Mr Roadkill

When sober, swinging from 2 trees..........when not sober........anywhere I lay my hat
    [

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I primarily use a tent these days. I've gone from tent to hammock and back to tent again. I just like being able to spread all my gear out and to have my own little space, although in the case of my teepee it's not such a little space.

The next time we go to Woodland Valley, I'll probably take the hammock again but this weekend on Dartmoor will definitely be the tent, mainly because it's lighter weight.

Martin
    Last edited by Martin; 10-10-2011 at 11:31 AM.
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

I am a ground dweller when camping with the scouts, but a tree hanger when out on my own. The reason behind this is when I sling the hammock near the scouts I can't keep the little perishers out of it, with their muddy boots.

Andy
    I totally reject your reality and substitute my own.