Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mussel?

bushcraftboy

Mussel?

Is it the time of the year to pick mussel now?

Also are normal crabs edible (not the big ones), sorry I don't know the names.

You can pick mussels at most times in the year, but you have to be aware of a bacteria called something like the red cloud (dont quote me), which circulates the sea and affects filter feeders such as mussels. It is extremely dangerous and can cause paralysation and sometimes death. I would recomend limpets as the are grazers and arent do not harbour such toxins. Im pretty sure this info is vaguely right but im certainly no expert. If you are going to collect mussels and my info is correct speak with locals who know about it.

Hope this helps, Robb
    Every mile on a river takes you further from home than every hundred miles on a road.

I hope thats a birchbark canoe in your pocket.... - I guess i should give some credit to Metal Mug

bushcraftboy
    I never knew it could paralyze you or even kill, I thought it made you sick for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by bushcraftboy View Post
    Is it the time of the year to pick mussel now?

Also are normal crabs edible (not the big ones), sorry I don't know the names.
    The rule for eating mollusc's is that they can be eaten in any month with a R in! May June July August they are spawning & the flesh not as good! They are best eaten beginning November - end February! If your collecting wild ones make sure they are from an area that the water quality is good, definitely not from a harbour or near any grey water outlets (although they do like to live in those areas). Also the better ones to pick are those that are always submerged as any nasties don't get concentrated when the mussel seals itself to survive being out of the water!

Most the crabs of our shores are mainly Spider crabs which are great eating especially the males with huge claws, often much larger than the edible (Brown) crab. Spiders are regularly fished for by commercial fishermen in the UK and shipped to the continent, popular in Spain. Velvet crabs are good eating but you don’t get much. My favourite wild crab to eat has to be the spider crab. The shell can sometimes be hard to crack, but the meat tastes really nice. They are the most common and can grow to some shocking sizes but browns are what you see dressed on fish counters (no not in tuxedo's).
    If it can't be carried it aint needed

bushcraftboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaps72 View Post
    The rule for eating mollusc's is that they can be eaten in any month with a R in! May June July August they are spawning & the flesh not as good! They are best eaten beginning November - end February! If your collecting wild ones make sure they are from an area that the water quality is good, definitely not from a harbour or near any grey water outlets (although they do like to live in those areas). Also the better ones to pick are those that are always submerged as any nasties don't get concentrated when the mussel seals itself to survive being out of the water!

Most the crabs of our shores are mainly Spider crabs which are great eating especially the males with huge claws, often much larger than the edible (Brown) crab. Spiders are regularly fished for by commercial fishermen in the UK and shipped to the continent, popular in Spain. Velvet crabs are good eating but you don’t get much. My favourite wild crab to eat has to be the spider crab. The shell can sometimes be hard to crack, but the meat tastes really nice. They are the most common and can grow to some shocking sizes but browns are what you see dressed on fish counters (no not in tuxedo's).
    I just google'd spider crab and I don't think they are them. The crabs I'm talking about are about a little bit bigger than your palm.

Quote Originally Posted by bushcraftboy View Post
    I just google'd spider crab and I don't think they are them. The crabs I'm talking about are about a little bit bigger than your palm.
    Look at browns or velvets then as the next most common! Picks would be helpful otherwise I can only say what I have experience of, as given above!

The only other rule of thumb is that if a crabs body shell is smaller than your average palm, then it should go back!

got this off DEFRA http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm...mfishsizes.pdf

Although they are commercial limits its a guide for budding foragers of the sea!

Edible Crab
    38. Edible crab landing sizes were introduced at EC level for the first time on 1 January 2000. The sizes are:
    • 140mm north of 56°N both to West of Scotland and in the North Sea;
    • 130 mm in the remainder of the North Sea except the Eastern Sea Fisheries District;
    • 115 mm in the Eastern Sea Fisheries District;
    • 140mm in the Channel and around the Southwest Peninsula i.e. areas VIId, e and f;
    • 130mm elsewhere.
    39. Please remember that UK national legislation already applies higher crab landing sizes in the UK. Off Devon, Cornwall and the Scilly Isles the UK size for male edible crab is set at 160mm rather than 140mm established by the EC. The size for female edible crabs in this area is 140mm. For male Spider crabs the UK has set a size of 130mm. Females may be landed at 120mm in accordance with the EC requirements.
    40. For catches of edible crabs made by pots or creels a maximum of 1% by weight of the total of edible crabs or parts of edible crabs may consist of detached crab claws. For catches of edible crabs made by any other fishing gear a maximum of 75kgs of detached crab claws may be retained on board or landed at the end of any fishing voyage. Please note, however, that the Marketing Regulation restricts crab claws to a small final quantity necessary for local processing.

bushcraftboy
    These crabs are different, although over Gower the crabs over there are very big!

But these ones I'm talking about are in Loughor, and are these http://www.glaucus.org.uk/c-maenas.htm

That article says the shore crab is the green crab, now I think I have heard of people using them for soup! but not 100% sorry. I would offer an opinion of that pretty much any fish can be eaten from uk waters there's nothing I have heard of that's poisonous, probably the same goes for meat too! it's just mass consumerism that has narrowed our ingestion of some foods! If it tastes nice go for it if bad or in doubt of the quality or where it lived then don't!

Experiment, try little bits at first if no adverse affects try more!

bushcraftboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaps72 View Post
    That article says the shore crab is the green crab, now I think I have heard of people using them for soup! but not 100% sorry. I would offer an opinion of that pretty much any fish can be eaten from uk waters there's nothing I have heard of that's poisonous, probably the same goes for meat too! it's just mass consumerism that has narrowed our ingestion of some foods! If it tastes nice go for it if bad or in doubt of the quality or where it lived then don't!

Experiment, try little bits at first if no adverse affects try more!
    Well where these creatures are being picked from is near a sewage outlet AKA "S*it Pipe", but I've eaten periwinkles (lovely) and mussel before now with no bad effect, but not for prolonged amount of times.

Hi there, I think a look at river cottage and Hughs fish foraging pages would be useful.