Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carving?

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    To make a spoon..
    Cut yourself a fresh branch of something like alder, sycamore, birch or willow. Dont worry about using wood with bends and stuff, just use a straight bit to start with and cut it to a little longer than you want your spoon.
    As mentioned, split the wood in half, using your knife and a batton. Take the bit that has less of the middle of the wood in (splits can start from the middle).
    Tidy up the face of the wood you just split and then draw with a pencil the shape of the spoon you want, looking from above. Just do a simple shaped spoon to start with.
    Now cut the wood out down to your pencil mark, going careful not to cut too deep. Do not worry about shaping the sides of the spoon at this point, just get it down to the line..
    Now draw the side of your spoon on the wood, and cut to the line again.
    You should now have a square shaped spoon, so now you just need to round it and shape it better.
    Go slowly and do not rush.
    Always try to think of where the knife will go if it slipped off the work. Ie do not cut towards yourself, unless its a controlled cut.
    Try to work out the best way to hold the spoon in all the different positions you will need to hold it to carve the spoon.
    Ideally you will need a spoon knife to carve the bowl, but you can burn it out using a straw and an ember.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Last edited by JonnyP; 28-09-2011 at 05:56 PM.

bushcraftboy
    I can't thank you guys enough.

wish i made how to carve a spoon video would help so many of my mates will get on it some day