Thread: Notice to All Members - Please Read - Post Issues Here - Sept/Oct 2011

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Exclamation Notice to All Members - Please Read - Post Issues Here - Sept/Oct 2011

All Community Members Please Read...

Yesterday a hacker tried to break his way into the forum/website probably looking to take control of our server. Thankfully our security prevented the hacker from gaining entry, however as a precaution I took the forum down for a short duration whilst I worked on hardening our security further and upgraded the forum's software.

As a result of the forum software bein upgraded you may notice some changes, most of them should be improvements
    (like an new editor etc) however the upgrade did break a few things (most of which I have fixed already) but...

If you have noticed anything that is broken please let me know about it here, thank you

And if it is a legitimate problem I will put it on my list of things to fix here:

• Links in notification emails are incorrect. - Thanks to Adam/crazysaint22 for reporting this issue.
    • Smileys have changed (some lost) - Thanks to Adam/crazysaint22 for reporting this issue.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Thanks for the update Ash.

Adam
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

bushcraftboy
    I have alot of experience in ethical hacking, I can help if you need me too. I've also had multiple websites of my own...

Tribal Elder
    oh yeah its a real nightmare...

Actually considered rolling my own CMS for that very reason.... my site is already under attack from spammers

I have noticed the hacker managed to infiltrate the site and change some users avatar pics to ones you might find on 'Broke back mountain avatar pics.com', whats that all about ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post
    • Links in notification emails are incorrect. - Thanks to Adam/crazysaint22 for reporting this issue.
    I think I *may* have fixed this issue now, if someone could do me the honour of replying to this thread then I will get an email notification and will be able to tell

Quote Originally Posted by Kiltie View Post
    I have noticed the hacker managed to infiltrate the site and change some users avatar pics to ones you might find on 'Broke back mountain avatar pics.com', whats that all about ?
    No the hacker didn't manage to infiltrate any part of the site, or replace the smileys! It came with the new upgrade to the forum software, I can bring all the old smiley's back no problem it's just low on the agenda atm.

Thanks for the support folks.
    Ashley Cawley

Leave No Trace

had the same on jacksshed today,been busy aint they!
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

I think you've got it Ash, just clicked the link in the email and got here with no "little man with sign" screen
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    had the same on jacksshed today,been busy aint they!
    Your kidding? Hopefully they didn't get in or do any damage!

Thanks for replying (it confirmed that I managed to fix the email/link issue).

My advice would be to check that all of your site & forum software are as up to date as possible, that's the easiest way they get in through exploiting slightly out of date software. Tis a right pain in the backside!
    Ashley Cawley

Leave No Trace

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post

No the hacker didn't manage to infiltrate any part of the site, or replace the smileys! It came with the new upgrade to the forum software, I can bring all the old smiley's back no problem it's just low on the agenda atm.

Thanks for the support folks.
    and a pain in the ass man