Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooking in a fireplace?

Hobo

Cooking in a fireplace?

It seems like there are two main ways of thinking of survival satiations. Hunker Down or Bug Out.

My question today is.. For those Hunker Down situations have you ever tried cooking your meals in your fireplace? How well did your outdoor Bushcraft tools (posts, hangers, etc.) work indoors in a fire place? Do you think something else would have worked better?

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Another reason why I'm working on getting a Wood Burner in our house, not only does it look nice and adds that magical touch of fire to your living room but I'm confident I can source some free fuel for it and adds yet another bit of self-sufficiency to my arsenal.

Oh yeah and yeah.. back to the point; some you can cook on!
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Hi,
    Here's a pic of our Morso owl convector, best investment we have made! We had it installed about 4yrs ago and havent looked back. We have cooked slow stews and quick toasts, keeps pots of coffee warm and burns both wood and coal. The chimney was the most expensive part tho!!
    If there was one mistake we made , it was to not include a back boiler and install a heating system, independant to our combi/central heating system.
    I would recommend it to anyone,
    [IMG] morso owl convector stove by nat&lou, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Nat
    We're a virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.

we do toast soups bangers the kids love it even my 15yo girl gets her mates round for tea and toast
    they think her dads cool or nuts not shore lol

It is a bit of a costly item but glad its one we invested in. I think when it comes to the woodland cook kit, pot hangers and the like in particular, an open fire works better as you have more room to play with. The problem with the open fire is that it is less efficient when it comes to heat output when compared to wood burners. I'm fortunate in that I reinstated an open fireplace in our dining room and had the woodburner installed in the lounge. You just can't beat a nice fire on a cold day and the bonus is that if you do get that power cut and the pump stops working on the gas boiler you still have heat, hot water and something to cook on/in/over. The boiler certainly works less when the fire is going as the heat soon works its way around the house.

Banned
    Once there was a late snowfall and power cut in Wiltshire and I cooked on an ordinary grate fireplace. What else did the peasantry do for hundreds of years? Just balanced kettle and saucepans on the grate front and the coals. Flatter fire for cooking rather than a banked one for heat.

my fire place have cookd all sorts on it
    i love my frontroom kitchen lolol
    Last edited by markal17; 24-09-2011 at 12:25 AM.

Hobo
    Here is the video I just did for cooking in a fireplace when there is no electricity. I would appreciate any feedback you can give.

http://youtu.be/FfSzK39OWZ8

ds

I open my fire up at the weekend and tonight I was sat making a bacon butty it was the best I have had in a long time it is just a shame the council had the back boiler removed. But it is great sitting just looking at the flames
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

[/url]
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses