Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Birch Bark Hip Flask

Nice idea. I've got a small flask that someone gave me as a present, unfortunately they didn't know i don't drink, so now i have found a use for it. Good video as well by the way.

Thanks Blu. Just passing on knowledge and ideas from others here, but someones got to get these ideas about I guess

Adam
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Just a quick question with regards to Birch Bark, are the any restrictions on gathering it, i.e. is it ok to take it from say a public park. And does/should the tree be fallen/felled naturally or by other means.

Officially, nothing can be taken from a location, without the landowners permission, including council or government owned land. It would be irresponsible for me to say something like..."what they don't know, won't hurt them", or.."it's ok unless you get caught", but many people tend to take this attitude.
    As far as when to gather birch bark, many birch "shed" their bark (or at least parts of it) during the year. If you need to use more than your bare hands, then it should not be removed. Never "ring" the tree, as in take a continuous piece of bark, from all the way around the circumference of the tree. Even fallen or felled trees are habitats to wildlife, from insects to bacteria. I took my bark from a wind fallen tree, that was being disposed of, as they were clearing a track through a wood. Basically, I believe it is ok to collect birch bark, as long as you use a little common sense and leave the majority for mother nature.

Hope that is of some use to you Blu.

Adam

That Sean is a clever guy. He and I were chatting the other day on Facebook, asked him what ideas he could come up with for my 'strong magnet in a knife sheath', came up with the usual "Carry needles, magnetise, find if dropped, knife retention", etc. and I pointed being able to retrieve your knife if dropped, blah, blah, then he actually said "set it up with some copper wire ad make a small power source from it"........ so I thought a great idea, and told him to go for it, would love to see him do something like that, even just enough to trickle charge a cell phone or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by crazysaint222 View Post
    Officially, nothing can be taken from a location, without the landowners permission, including council or government owned land. It would be irresponsible for me to say something like..."what they don't know, won't hurt them", or.."it's ok unless you get caught", but many people tend to take this attitude.
    As far as when to gather birch bark, many birch "shed" their bark (or at least parts of it) during the year. If you need to use more than your bare hands, then it should not be removed. Never "ring" the tree, as in take a continuous piece of bark, from all the way around the circumference of the tree. Even fallen or felled trees are habitats to wildlife, from insects to bacteria. I took my bark from a wind fallen tree, that was being disposed of, as they were clearing a track through a wood. Basically, I believe it is ok to collect birch bark, as long as you use a little common sense and leave the majority for mother nature.

Hope that is of some use to you Blu.

Adam
    Excellent info, thank you. I'll keep a keen eye open next time i'm out with the dog and see whats available locally.
    Nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
    he actually said "set it up with some copper wire ad make a small power source from it"........ so I thought a great idea, and told him to go for it, would love to see him do something like that, even just enough to trickle charge a cell phone or whatever.
    That would be interesting to see. I'll have to keep an eye on his channel

Quote Originally Posted by Blu View Post
    Excellent info, thank you. I'll keep a keen eye open next time i'm out with the dog and see whats available locally.
    Nice one.
    No problem buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal mug View Post
    Well to be fair on you, your knee was quite swollen. Ouch.
    I would of just sat down and done no walking! haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Blu View Post
    Nice idea. I've got a small flask that someone gave me as a present, unfortunately they didn't know i don't drink, so now i have found a use for it. Good video as well by the way.
    Being 15 I don't drink either!
    So I use mine for milk when I go out for a day! haha