Thread: Basic fruits and berry's ?

Alone in the Wilderness

Lightbulb Basic fruits and berry's ?

I live in Redditch, Worcestershire. Me and a set of friends started going camping weekly about 3-4 months ago. We want to start taking camping much more seriously, for example we just take take basic food essentials to last the night. But we want to be finding fruits and berry's which we have not the slightest idea about. Iv read a quite a lot of threads and can understand we must be careful. Hence why I'm posting this thread, if anybody knows any names of fruits or berry's ect that grow in my area or grow in many places in general that would be appreciated.
    In my camping area there are plenty of woods, grass fields, rivers, lake.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Try blackberry and hawthorne for starters.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Never eat anything unless you know what it is.
    You would be better off going along to a Bushcraft meet, or go on a wild food foray, or do a proper course with someone like The Wild Food School, for getting info on wild edibles.
    Going out with someone who can show you what you can and cannot eat (and how to prep it) is much better than trying to get info off the web.

Having said that, I expect you will already know a few edibles like blackberries and hazel nuts. Look up sloe berrys, not for eating but for sloe gin. You may be lucky to find some wild plums still around like bullace and damsons etc, but many plums will be gone by now. Look for wild strawberries, and finding wild raspberries is always a treat.
    Acorns can be collected for acorn coffee and can be made into flour with a load of work. Beech nuts are good but small, and always look for chestnuts.
    That enough for you..?
    Last edited by JonnyP; 06-09-2011 at 08:45 AM.

or get the book called :food for free .for under £2.00 here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Collins-Ge...item2a0656699e
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.