Thread: My first Wallet ( Picture Heavy)

My first Wallet ( Picture Heavy)

I couldn't find a wallet that suited my needs, so I decided to make my own. After a couple of mishaps with the sewing machine I hand stitched it. The tensions on the sewing machine kept pulling the soft leather and the end result was a crooked cetre

So I re-designed it and hand stitched it all.

Firstly I wanted somewhere to put my SD cards

Then I formed the card holder and punched the sewing holes

The SD card and Credit card Holder was then stitched to the Note section

They were then stitched to the first part ot the outer wallet. Once that was done the next stage was to make sure the rear part of the wallet had a hinge in it so that it folded without pulling or bunching. So I half stitched it to keep it secure before making the fold.

Then I folded the wallet to get the length of the rear before glueing and stitching.

Once that was done I stitched all the outside edge and cut off the excess.
    The finished Wallet.

Sorry its picture heavy
    Thanks
    Ian
    Last edited by IBrown; 30-08-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Well done you! Having watched my mum bugger about with sewing machines when I was a lad, I soon realized that by the time you set it up, started, did it wrong, unpicked it, tried again, broke the needle, changed the needle, adjusted every moving part etc, that it would be quicker and more relaxing sewing anything by hand. The donkey work with leather is hole punching, which slows it down, but aren't the results satisfying?

Nice work!
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

Very nice stitching!
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by bigzee View Post
    Well done you! Having watched my mum bugger about with sewing machines when I was a lad, I soon realized that by the time you set it up, started, did it wrong, unpicked it, tried again, broke the needle, changed the needle, adjusted every moving part etc, that it would be quicker and more relaxing sewing anything by hand. The donkey work with leather is hole punching, which slows it down, but aren't the results satisfying?

Nice work!
    Cheers Mate,
    I agree with you, I couldn't get the under tension right, unpicked it reset the levels still not right. Broke two needles. Had to go to ebay and buy my misses a couple of packs of leather needles. I want to keep practicing with the sewing machine as I have loads of leather so want to start a little side line making pouches and brew kits to sell. I am going to put the full How To Make a Wallet on our Blog later today, so the full start to finish will be shown.

Thanks fish for your comments.
    As bigzee says the donkey work is the hole punching. With soft leather its not to bad, I run a tracing wheel to give me a straight line and then I punch every other mark as the dots it leave are to close together for my liking. Its the same as an Overstitching wheel but only £2 to buy in a sewing shop.

bushcraftboy
    Ahh the SD card, I've lost a few. But I still have 2x 8GB 1x 4GB, and 1x 1GB.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrown View Post
    Cheers Mate,
    I agree with you, I couldn't get the under tension right, unpicked it reset the levels still not right. Broke two needles. Had to go to ebay and buy my misses a couple of packs of leather needles. I want to keep practicing with the sewing machine as I have loads of leather so want to start a little side line making pouches and brew kits to sell. I am going to put the full How To Make a Wallet on our Blog later today, so the full start to finish will be shown.

Thanks fish for your comments.
    As bigzee says the donkey work is the hole punching. With soft leather its not to bad, I run a tracing wheel to give me a straight line and then I punch every other mark as the dots it leave are to close together for my liking. Its the same as an Overstitching wheel but only £2 to buy in a sewing shop.
    Agree making holes is difficult , time consuming and often hard work especially in heavy leather ...
    In the past I have made padded popping straps and belts ( for the Hooligan Pipes ) by carefully clamping the pieces together and after marking the stitches going to work with the Dremel on a sacrificial base , makes nice open holes that stay open without closing up and in any thickness of leather , perfect for double needle style stiching and the hole diameters can be tailored to the job or thread easily simply by changing the size of the drill bit !!!

Cheers Whistle
    Life's a beach .... and then the tide comes in ....

IBrown are they EURO's in that wallet (which I must say has given me inspiration, it looks really good). I will make a wallet next, if you dont mind?

Although, now I know how to do a saddle stitch i should repair my chopper wallet
    "The mind is like a Parachute. It must be open to work"

Quote Originally Posted by Solidedge View Post
    IBrown are they EURO's in that wallet (which I must say has given me inspiration, it looks really good). I will make a wallet next, if you dont mind?

Although, now I know how to do a saddle stitch i should repair my chopper wallet
    Yes they are, I visit relatives in Italy so always have some Euro's notes and coins left over. Just save then until my next trip.

Just added to your reputation IBrown because that's a nice wallet and the photos make the thread, so don't apologise for them.