Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pack your bags!!!!

Pack your bags!!!!

Hi guys,

first of all love the site, soooom many plans running round my head now!!!

I have done lots of camping and am really looking forward to doing some "proper" camping, but my question is a simple one....

how do YOU pack your pack?

I mean what order is best to fill your bag sleeping gear at the top or bottom?

brew gear as close to hand as poss ect ect....

cant wait to see what the pros have to say,

Rich.

i always pack me clothes and wash kit at the bottom,my bedding stuff in the middle except roll mat,tent at the top along with anything i may need to grab first.my knifes and fire steel go in one pocket at the side,as do my tinder stuff and first aid kit.
    lifes good ,but even sweeter under the stars

Tribal Elder
    Depends on the pack!

I use the army type packs (Webtex bergan and now Snugpak Rocketpak) which have two large side pouches and main central bag.

I put the shelter, hygiene and stuff i wont use during the day in the central bit, lightest stuff at the bottom (so usually tent, sleeping bag, food and hygiene kit) and then day kit (clothing layers, that days food, water, brew kit etc) into the sides. In the top pouch I just put misc items...such as maps, torch, first aid... any overspill from the sides...

General rule of thumb is lightest at the bottom, heaviest at the top, day kit in easy to access areas.

sleeping and shelter in one area with clothes and wash stuff and big pockets on side with water cooking equitment and food and water and any other stuff and in the lid (bag top) with cordage fire lighting stuff

The stuff you need first when you get there is the stuff you pack last.
    First I line the inside with my gore-tex bivvy for extra waterproofing, then put in spare clothes, sleeping bag on top and fold and tie off the bivvy.
    Groundsheet then goes on top and the tarp on top of that.
    Cook set and food in one side pocket.
    Fuel, knives and cord and scrunched up lemonade bottle in the other side pocket.
    FAK and washing kit in compartment on the top flap - FAK placed for instant retrieval.
    Roll mat strapped to the outside.

First thing you want to do when you get there is shelter so you pull your tarp out first and get it up.
    Once you're sheltered you can peg down the groundsheet and set your bed area, then cook, sleep or do whatever you want.

Doing it this way means you can stop en-route and just cook as everything for that is in the side pocket.

That's pretty much all I take apart from some ridiculously oversized bino's around my neck.

Thanks, sounds good

any one else?

Don't know about being a pro but heres mine...

Sleep gear such as bag, tarp, sleeping mat in the bottom compartment of the pack. Then in the main compartment the bottom layer is spare clothes, then bits and bobs bag and wash kit followed by food and cook gear on top. I may have a fleece or chunky jumper on top again if required. The seperate top compartments of the pack hold my waterproofs and woolly hat whilst first aid kit, trowel and knife are in the side compartments. Water is usually in a bladder held in a mesh section in the main compartment.

May not necessarily follow the 'heaviest on top' rule but works for me at the moment.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I'm not sure that heaviest on top is the way to go. This would leave you seriously unbalanced when crossing any terrain other than flat and level ground. Heavier, weighty items should be packed at the bottom of your pack. The weight will be supported by the hip belt anyway.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I'm not sure that heaviest on top is the way to go. This would leave you seriously unbalanced when crossing any terrain other than flat and level ground. Heavier, weighty items should be packed at the bottom of your pack. The weight will be supported by the hip belt anyway.

Martin
    This link seems to describe both as acceptable in different situations - http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/arti...+backpack.html

heavy close to my back and low down,lighter stuff to the top and front of the ruck.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.