Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A year alone scenario

i think either ammunition for the hunting rifle, or a dog like a lurcher. the only use the rifle would have without ammo is to club the rabbits to death :P. maybe a fishing rod and kit. or maybe a shotgun for fowl and small mammals as these are far mor versatile than a .243 or something similar. i dont know really.

the rifle would bag big game which means less time needed hunting and more time to get on with stuff like fire wood for the winter.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

good point, but how would you store all the meat from one big buck? if you wanted to make use of all the meat you get off a buck and store it for a while you'd need to spend time making an awful lot of jerky. far easier to go out and get meat pin handy meal sized packages (i.e one pigeon, one rabbit)

i understand your reasoning but i have fed my family of 6 by hunting during real financial hardship for a year,the small game meals are ok but hunting even by someone as experienced as myself is still a bit hit or miss (excuse the pun!) i found it far better to preserve a whole deer and know you had 20 days worth of food before you went hungry,i would spend the next week or so snaring rabbits and shooting feathered game with my catty,this would make the deer go furthur with meals of other game,by day 10 i would be trying to bag another deer.meanwhile i was foraging and growing crops for us to eat and sell surplus to turn into cash to buy sugar for preserving fruit and salt for beans and meats.
    Admittedly i had no gun but a gun is only as good as the user and if theres no game theres no game!
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.