Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Bushcraft Military Dress Code

If you look at the comments he gets, virtually everyone takes this shmuck seriously and they think the sun shines out his arse. How sorry a comment is that on the
    intellect of society? Maybe the joke is on us and we're just not getting it. I still can't get past that dollar store Rambo knife, though. Retail is ten bucks; somebody
    is buying container-loads at about three dollars apiece...made in China from white metal? I'm surprised it survived the batonning without exploding into a million bits!
    But it's (thumbs up) 'Mountainous approved!'.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head, with the "intellect of society" part. It's the world we live in, more than one person. His viewers like it, it's just we don't. Heck, I don't agree with the "tools" (word used very loosely) that he uses, or gives his "Mountainous Approval", but it keeps him off the streets, keeps him happy, keeps a lot of his viewers happy. Everyone deserves to be happy really. Yeah we have had a good rant and a laugh about him, but at the end of the day, we don't have to watch the stuff if we don't like it.

Seeing as this little thread is getting quite heated, maybe it's time to close it? I know I have poked fun at the guy, but like mentioned, if it makes him and others happy, who are we to make fun of him? Maybe it's the viewers that take it seriously that need the fun making? Either way, we'll always have our opinions about him and the things he does, and I think we have made enough of a point about it.

What do you reckon???

Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by crazysaint222 View Post
    Everyone deserves to be happy really.

Absolutely Adam.
    Storms have a way of teaching what nothing else can.

ALWAYS Leave a Trace

Imho. there is no reason to close down this thread. If you broadcast yourself acting like this on YouTube, you ought to know that it comes with a certain amount of redicule.

Quote Originally Posted by JEEP View Post
    Imho. there is no reason to close down this thread. If you broadcast yourself acting like this on YouTube, you ought to know that it comes with a certain amount of redicule.
    I guess you're right, but that's what YouTube is for, for people to share videos of whatever they want (within the law of course). I'm just not so sure that we should judge the guy quite as harshly, or at least, not on a friendly, public forum. Especially a bushcraft forum, where the ethics revolve around being in tune with nature, in a live and let live manner.
    I hope I'm making sense lol.

Credit where credit's due, though - he can ride that BMX alright.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by crazysaint222 View Post
    I guess you're right, but that's what YouTube is for, for people to share videos of whatever they want (within the law of course). I'm just not so sure that we should judge the guy quite as harshly, or at least, not on a friendly, public forum. Especially a bushcraft forum, where the ethics revolve around being in tune with nature, in a live and let live manner.
    I hope I'm making sense lol.
    You are making sense - and your point is valid indeed. But, please allow me to turn this around and play a little game of Devil's advocate here:

Being both a practitioner of martial arts and an avid outdoors person, I am sick and tired of people like "actionman" here, feeding the mainstream media and public opinion with plenty of excuses to write everyone, with an interest in martial arts and survival/bushcraft, off as borderline nutters - or full blown whack jobs.

Seeing a guy like this, makes me understand 100% how Ray Mears feels about Bear Grylls (no, I am not directly comparing Bear to "actionman" here, that would be truly unfair to Bear).

I could find many excuses to be angry at "actionman" and people like him, for giving two of my favourite past times a bad rep, but, being a fairly mild mannered guy, I will resort to venting by just poking fun of him.

Yes, he is just having fun - but it is wrong to say that he is doing no harm. He is, indirectly, harming the public opinion on people like us. For 90% of the public this guy could just aswell be you or me.
    Last edited by JEEP; 02-11-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Very good point Jakob. Glad to see you put so much passion into what you like/do. Also glad to see you take those things seriously.

I love these little debates

Banned
    You don't think Jeep that you are being a tiny bit obsessive yourself? You don't own waving swords or fire steels around. Are any of us to submit to some authenticity checker before making a video? The open nature of the Internet is its greatest strength and consensus will eventually be reached on any matters arising partly because everyone else is free to raise their objections and corrections.

One might ask just what Bushcraft is being displayed at staggering to a campsite with a load of kit and spending the night there? Of course the Bushcraft is in adsorbing the atmosphere on the trail and once there in observing nature while enjoying the outdoors. However, Jim Bridger wouldn't recognise the event as anything like his regular months long stealth camps.

Surely live and let live unless you want to eat it is the Bushcraft way?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    You don't think Jeep that you are being a tiny bit obsessive yourself?
    Well, that is part of playing the whole devil's advocate thing