Thread: Very Friendly Deer

Hobo

Very Friendly Deer

About 3-4 years ago I was out hunting deer on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. It was about 40 degees F and the sun was shining. Bluebird day. My son had yet to tag a deer so I went out in the woods with him in the hopes of driving something to his stand. Now, before you think this is a hunting story it's not. I had been sitting in a 10sq acre piece of woods on the downwind side of these thick, thick woods. I had found a really nice old walnut tree and I pulled up a seat. The woods were in front of me, corn fields behind me, and directly behind me bumping up against the tree, was a heavily used deer trail. I had been there about 45 minutes when I heard a bunch of noise coming from the southside edge of the trees. I had on camo and a camo facial pullover. After about another half an hour this little yearling doe came down the trail from the south going north and when she got to about 3 yards from me, she stopped dead and just stared at me. I didn't move and she must have stood there for 5 minutes then she began walking down the trail behind me. She got to the south side of the tree and peeked around the tree and was about a foot away from me. Then she began to go north again, and when she got on the other side of the tree she stopped, dropped her head and scented the trail, turned and looked at me, then her tail shot up. I thought, "Oh, great, now she is going to spray the area and I am finished for the day. Again, she looked at me, dropped her tail and walked off north down the trail. I must have laughed for 10 minutes. After I regained my composure, I saw movement out of the corner of my right eye. Following her trail was an 8 point dominant buck. He got to a point about 30 feet from the tree and stopped. He sniffed the ground and lifted his head. He did a slow 180 degree view and then turned to his left and he ended up in the freezer. The only thing that made sense was that the doe had laid down some fear scent and the buck picked up on it. I will never forget the look of that little deer as she tried to figure me out. She knew she should be scared, but for the life of her, she couldn't figure out why. I still laugh every time someone asks me about the incredibly deaf, dumb, and blind deer, with no sense of smell, that went past me one Sunday.