Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dartmoor 3 Day Solo Expedition

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar

Dartmoor 3 Day Solo Expedition

So, as some of you know (in fact anyone who wanted to listen, or even if you didn't) I will be doing a two night solo expedition to Dartmoor on Weds, Thurs and Fri this week.

I plan to walk from Okehampton to Wistman's Wood, stopping overnight at Sittaford Tor on the way out and the way back.

Now, for me, one of the most exciting things about this trip is, not only will I be undertaking this alone, but I will be doing a live video diary and making regular posts over the three days on this thread.

I am aiming to make this a fairly lightweight trip, carrying everything with me, and hopefully will be able to give some information on how my kit is working as I go.

I will also be taking some HD video as well as stills so I should be able to do a proper trip review on my return.

Please post any comments on the trip or anything you would like me to comment on whilst I'm out. I'm hoping this will be a really interesting project and, if it works, one we can improve on as time goes on.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

been waiting for this ,...

dont wanna say good luck cos its not about luck when you prepare as well as you have,...

so,...i'll just say...

enjoy the solitude dude and look forward to the report...

Stu,..

Looking forward to the report Martin

Should get me pepped up for my trip to Loch Lomond at the weekend

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Thumbs up Live Blog Direct from Dartmoor

Well, this will be interesting a Dartmoor solo-trip, isolated and alone, yet able to published content out to thousands! - Well at least you know if anything did go wrong we could have a ton of people out to you in no time

For those of you who don't know Martin has been practising uploading and posting both photos & videos here on the Forum straight from his phone, so he'll be live-bloging from Dartmoor.

Can you publish video direct from your phone then Martin?

Hope you enjoy the trip
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post
    Well, this will be interesting a Dartmoor solo-trip, isolated and alone, yet able to published content out to thousands! - Well at least you know if anything did go wrong we could have a ton of people out to you in no time

For those of you who don't know Martin has been practising uploading and posting both photos & videos here on the Forum straight from his phone, so he'll be live-bloging from Dartmoor.

Can you publish video direct from your phone then Martin?

Hope you enjoy the trip
    Yes Ash, having an HTC Hero which uses the Android operating system, I can upload videos direct to Youtube and then using the "[video][video]" tags I can post the video on here.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Martin, I'd be interested in learnig more about how you planned for and then subsequently handled the weather on Dartmoor, especially this week with snow forecast from Wednesday. I do mostly solo trips and I'm working up to doing a 2 day (1 night) solo winter trip in the Brecon Beacons somewhere during the next few weeks but am aware that weather conditions are not something to be taken lightly as I have not done any serious winter camping yet.

I have a HTC Leo (HD2) so must see what live uploading capabilities I have, could be interesting. I know I can upload direct to facebook but not tried vids or stills yet.
    Last edited by paul standley; 22-11-2010 at 01:06 PM. Reason: spelling

I have an HTC Desire so will be following this closely (may need some advice). The phone signal is not great on the Northern moor but there are places on the top of tors that work. Are you planning on skirting the Okehampton range or going through? if so there is a nice site to the North East of Fur tor for camping. Looking forward to following this outing.

Right then folks. It's the night before my trip and I've just checked the weather forecast. Looking like a bit of a mixed bag with fog, sleet, sunshine and cloud.

I'm uploading a video with details of my kit which I hope you'll find interesting.

Skate, sadly most of the North Moor is being used by the Army for exercises this week so I'll be limited to using the eastern half of that area. I intend to camp at the top of Sittaford Tor, which may be a bit breezy but I'm hoping will give me a mobile signal; if not then updates will be few and far between.

Martin

Enjoy the walk, I would of started at Belstone
    There's shelter at Sittaford and lots of fences!
    Keen to see how you get on with the travel tap, could be on my crimbo list

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Batterys die fast in HTC's, and even faster if you use them. Have you a spare battery Martin, or a charger..?
    Sounds like fun to me. Have a great trip mate..