Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Could Do With A Little Teaspoon... I Know, I'll Make One !

looks great! so your brewing up enough for everyone here right????
    Bang on!

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Never use linseed oil for spoons, (unless its food grade linseed oil) its got nasties in with it. Also olive oil is not good either. It certainly is food grade, but it can easily go rancid.
    Walnut oil is very good to use though.
    Tung oil can be used too.

i think most of us that make/use wooden treen a lot use walnut oil or food grade linseed (aka flax seed) oil. Like jonny says, olive oil will go rancid and sticky and boiled linseed oil will likely poison you. I've tried tung oilonce but it was like licking a picnic table after treating it!

Sothese days I use flaxseed oil. Go to a farmers/equestrian shop and get it in sensible amounts for a sesible price rather than a hippy food shop or use walnut oil,it smells nicer.
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

Quote Originally Posted by dave budd View Post
    i think most of us that make/use wooden treen a lot use walnut oil or food grade linseed (aka flax seed) oil. Like jonny says, olive oil will go rancid and sticky and boiled linseed oil will likely poison you. I've tried tung oilonce but it was like licking a picnic table after treating it!

Sothese days I use flaxseed oil. Go to a farmers/equestrian shop and get it in sensible amounts for a sesible price rather than a hippy food shop or use walnut oil,it smells nicer.
    Thanks for the info... luckily I went for Walnut oil and I know have sufficient for my next 20 spoons or so.... Happy days !

What if like me you dont do coffee and just drink tea. What do you use instead.

Quote Originally Posted by andy202wr View Post
    What if like me you dont do coffee and just drink tea. What do you use instead.
    A tea bag

Did you use a hook knife?

I want to do a bit of whittling and make a spoon/ mug, but don't have a hook knife.

I have looked in B&Q etc, don't like the idea of buying online.

Not because I am a luddite just that I've spent a bit already and my wife isn't as bushcrafty as I would like.

Mike
    Bushcraft: The art of getting closer to nature while getting farther away from the nearest cold beer, hot shower and flush toilet.

Nice looking spoon mate, love making spoons but normally add a dab of olive oil to my spoons
    bacon on the fire

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    I've been doing a little spoon carving myself these last few months, here are my most recent efforts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF5478.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	2793
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Very nice
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses