Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Any Carp Anglers on here?

Feebullet, My uncle emigrated to Oz in 85, doing very well he is too!

Back to the point, even though I'm a Carp angler in the UK I can see the reason why you hunt to kill. Carp and the ecology of Oz just don't mix, they spawn too successfully, invade and/or destroy the habitat of your native species and generally make bloody nuisances of themselves. Germany also have a catch and kill policy on Carp (might even be all coarse fish) which is generally ignored by anglers over there.

Carp aren't as big a problem in the UK yet, they've been in our waterways since about 1400, could be earlier. Originally stocked into land locked "stew ponds" for eating purposes. They've become fashionable as a recreational species in the last twenty or so years because they're easy to catch, readily available, to the point that land owners actually dig a hole in a spare field, fill it with Carp and charge "anglers" (I use the term loosely) about a quid an hour to fish for them.

I don't fish such places myself, preferring older, mature lakes and rivers for other species. I do however have the odd Carp session as much for the camping and relaxation as the actual fishing. They do pull well when hooked which is another bonus.

I take my hat off to the way that your nation is trying to preserve it's heritage and wish the Uk would take a stamp out of your book.

We have, off the top of my head, American signal crayfish which are destroying the native white crayfish, with, I believe, a parasite they host (I've just been reading another thread, it seems it's a disease or plague). They're also damaging coarse and game fish stocks by making a meal of their eggs.

Motherless minnows, Chinese mitten crabs, some alien form of shrimp, grey squirrels, coastal cormorants moving inland (that's another story altogether). There's plenty more that don't spring to mind and there seems to be very little being done about any of them. All of which are slowly but surely killing off our native species.

Sorry, I seem to be rambling
    Last edited by Bob W; 07-07-2011 at 09:49 AM.
    It's not the cough that carries you off,

It's the coffin they carry you off in!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I'd forgotten about her, were you trying to get your own back when you sent her over to us??

Martin
    It worked.

Bob W, ref the squirrels, are you allowed to hunt them with the property owner's permission?

Grey squirrels are classed as vermin I believe. With the land owners permission, hunt away

Disclaimer; Don't take my word for it, make sure

Edit:

http://f4bscale.worldonline.co.uk/quarry.htm

The list is changed from time time, I believe Starlings are off the list now.
    Last edited by Bob W; 07-07-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Interesting read Bob. What do they taste like?

I wouldn't know, I don't think I'd eat one, the expression "tree rat" is enough to put me off.

Alone in the Wilderness
    Hi all, just thought I'd poke my head out.
    Bob, I totally agree with your comments on native species. In the UK most issues aren't dealt with early enough and it always seems to become a case of too little too late.
    I'd recommend having grey squirrel on the menu. Plenty of good meat and dare I say it? - "Tastes like chicken"!
    A great food source that's plentiful

dreadedangler

Alone in the Wilderness
    Hi Gareth,
    thought I'd say hi, as a fellow fisherman and a man after my own heart.
    I'll join the facebook page for sure!
    Here's my page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002469436888

Tight lines

Dreadedangler
    Quote Originally Posted by garethw View Post
    Hi there
    As well as enjoying the outdoors and bushcrafty things, I've been a keen carp angler for nigh on 34 years. I now own my own carp fishery in northern France.
    Recently after speaking with a mate and fellow carper inthe UK, I've switched the traditional bivvy/bedchair set up for a hammock and tarp. The usual gear weighs in at over 15kg for just the tent and bed.....my tarp and hammock weighs just 1.5kg!!!.
    Ok admittedly, you need trees, at least one and/or vehicle access. With one tree and my 4x4 I can hang a hammock.
    Anyone esle tried this option????
    cheers
    Gareth
    PS: Check out my facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002545151533
    Last edited by dreadedangler; 07-07-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dreadedangler View Post
    Hi all, just thought I'd poke my head out.
    Bob, I totally agree with your comments on native species. In the UK most issues aren't dealt with early enough and it always seems to become a case of too little too late.
    I'd recommend having grey squirrel on the menu. Plenty of good meat and dare I say it? - "Tastes like chicken"!
    A great food source that's plentiful

dreadedangler
    It's lovely roasted with bacon.
    Do you want to be happy or do you want to be normal?

Alone in the Wilderness
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal mug View Post
    It's lovely roasted with bacon.
    Yummmy, as are most foods roated with bacon

dreadedangler