Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: DD Hammocks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

DD Hammocks

Took delivery of a few bits from DD hammocks a few days ago. Nice prompt service and even though I messed up the ordering a bit they responded to my change straight away and still delivered the next day. First class service.

Managed to get out today in not so Sunny Essex and test the kit out. Didnt have too much time in the end but managed to get the Tarp and Hammock up to try out quickly.

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1409.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	87  

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Thumbs up DD Hammocks are good

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing. Yeah I've experienced good service from DD also.

It looks like you might want to pull your webbing a bit tighter to have less of a sag. Keep us updated on how you get on, don't forget if you plan on using it in wet weather it's worth doing the Karabiner Hammock MOD.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Hi Ashley,

Yeah first time, took it up and down a few times to try and get the hang of it, think I got there in the end (obviously not that photo), I did however really struggle with the Tarp and getting that really taut. Any tips on that? on will I just need to practice more?

Cheers

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Hi Glenny

To get the tarp taught, you need to add some prussick loops to the end loops on the tarp. These then slide along the ridge line to pull the tarp taught. To be honest, it's easier to do than to explain but a google will show you how to do a prussick knot and you may find someone has something on there for how to taughten the tarp.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Hi Martin,

Cheers for the info, will look for a video on it, sounds like that will sort it though.

Thumbs up How to Setup a Tarp with Knots

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Hi Glenny

To get the tarp taught, you need to add some prussick loops to the end loops on the tarp. These then slide along the ridge line to pull the tarp taught. To be honest, it's easier to do than to explain but a google will show you how to do a prussick knot and you may find someone has something on there for how to taughten the tarp.

Martin
    Quote Originally Posted by glennyb25 View Post
    Hi Martin,

Cheers for the info, will look for a video on it, sounds like that will sort it though.
    Well chaps, I've done a video on just that, how to setup and tension out a Tarp:

Here is further details on how to tie the Prussik knot and others.
    Ashley Cawley

Leave No Trace

Can't say I've ever tried one of their hammocks but their tarps are great value for money.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    Can't say I've ever tried one of their hammocks but their tarps are great value for money.
    There Tarps used to be too heavy, but that's the great thing about DD they are great at listening to customer feedback and are constantly changing their production & design accordingly.

A British company also
    Ashley Cawley

Leave No Trace

Well I have to admit to being a bit greedy, I have one of their original camping hammocks (back when they cost £15), but it was a little short, so I upgraded to one of the early travel hammocks, it only has the zip on one side and then due to work and requiring really 2 lots of kit I bought another camping hammock (one of the new longer ones with the zip down the side).

I have only one problem with the DD Hammocks and that's the sashes smell awful, hence I have replaced them on the new camping hammock and the travel hammock with milspec tubular webbing. All of my hammocks are fitted with rings to stop capillary action of water down the sashes. All of the hammocks I own are basically Thai Hammocks, the design of which I first came across in the jungle / rain forest. I think I have six hammocks in all and I use the DD ones more than any other.

I recently bought a DD Tarp as well (as I said I have a requirement for 2 sets of kit), as an alternative to a 3Meter Tatonka. To be fair I actually find the DD Tarp to be more than an alternative, it's cheaper has more hanging points and as such can be configured in many more different ways, it weighs a similar amount and packs down about the same size. It's a better tarp in my opinion.

The service received from DD Hammocks has always been very good in my experience, so I have a lot of time for them as a company and provider of good quality equipment.

they were excellent dd hammocks was only had to wait one day because i ordered after there picks up came