Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where Can I Camp? (UK)

Have a look at this advice as a good guide:
    http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/An...-am-I-allowed/
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

so where do we all stand in costal areas ?

i know of some lovely sandy beaches on a tidal estuary with woodland to within 20 mtrs of the sand !

can we camp on beaches ?

used to as teenagers have partys with camp fires on them and were never bothered !
    Never argue with an idiot , they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    The bottom line is that all land in the UK is owned by someone and you need the permission of the land owner to camp on their land. However, it seems to be a widely held understanding that, providing you are respectful to the land, arrive late and leave early and keep well off the beaten track that you are unlikely to be bothered if you take a chance without permission.

I would be pretty unhappy if I found someone camping out in my garden, even if that garden was 20 acres and full of trees (which it's not). If, on the other hand, the person came to me and told me what they wanted to do I might be more sympathetic.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Camp where ever you like!!! I do
    The worst that will happen is youre asked to move on but if your stealthy enough you wont get caught anyway.
    Try looking at it this way, when the dinosaurs were about millions of years ago they didnt need permission to camp out did they????
    Who actually owns the land anyway??? No one does, except on paper. People get so hung up on laws that they forget to enjoy themselves.
    Sooner or later you will need a permit to fart in your own tent.....its all political b*ll*x. Hope this helps

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyswizzle View Post
    People get so hung up on laws that they forget to enjoy themselves.
    What is more we seem to be hamstringing ourselves in case something might be a crime when it would not be. A nation frightened of its own shadow is not attractive. What is not forbidden by law is allowed.

Of course stealth and courtesy are good things when camping but how surprising is it that I have seen brash van loads of people camping and lighting fires in Savernake Forest or by the side of the preserved trout River Kennet, fishing as well, with nary a sanction. Not nice for many reasons but shows you the likely level of enforcement you might meet with your modest camp.

Sorry 4got to add "Leave it as you found it and have respect for nature and the land"

what is the law then regarding common land ? i have two commons near me (danbury and galleywood) .

what is common land ?

edit: just answered my own question.. here http://www.oss.org.uk/commons/
    Last edited by bare grills; 21-01-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    Never argue with an idiot , they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I've got loads of woodland within half an hours drive of me between Helmsley and Great Broughton but it looks like it may be out of bounds
    Hi, I live in York and i have been having very similar problems.
    What i have been doing is using Google maps and finding areas that i like the look of, then popping out for a quick look of the area.
    recently i having be parking the car up in a village and then walking a few miles to where i want to be, that way the car is out of sight. make sure your as deep into the woodland as you can go and bobs your uncle... just make sure your safe with your fire and leave it how you found it!

iv been using the woods around Hovingham/Sheriff Hutton and have not had a problem.
    Recently i went up to Osmotherly and camped in one of the large woods a few miles away (not the one next to Cod Beck) i was there from 12 in the after noon till about the same time the next day and had a fire going all the time and again dint have a problem.. like i say just leave the place how you found it and there will not be a problem.

Alone in the Wilderness surfer dude's Avatar
    I camp on National Trust land but very slealthy and if I am caught and asked to move on I do so theres no point in having cross words as I know Im in the wrong but I state Im looking after the wild life as Ive heard bad things are happening!
    There are worse crimes than wild camping but it is still a crime!

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob W View Post
    Can anyone shed a bit more light on where exactly we can go and what we can do?

Is it OK for me to camp in these so called countryside rights of way, make camp, light a fire, carefully I hasten to add and generally roam about the yellow areas on Natural England's CRoW maps.
    Scotland has great laws regarding this....