Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Knife From A File

Knife From A File

This is my first attempt at making myself a bushcraft knife from an old file.

The file was annealed in a camp fire at Ivan's, then i ground off most of the teeth in the workshop.

I traced the outline of my mora for the blade, drew the tang freehand, then cut the excess material off with my grinder.

So far I have shaped the blank, and taken most of the stock from the grind, with the grinder.

And given all the rough edges a quick sanding.

Next step is to give it 99% of it's scandi grind, with a belt sander, before drilling the pin holes for the scales. After this I will re-temper the steel, fit and shape the scales, sharpen her up, then finally attempt to polish the blade best I can.

To be continued...
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Great stuff Adam! Well done mate, nice to see.

I've done this same project (inspired thanks to GreenPete), looking back one thing I regret not doing was taking the scandi grind higher up the knife, it seems to get too thick too quick. Looking at your forth photo reminded me of that problem, it depends on how thick your metal is but you might want to consider taking it higher. What mm thick is it?

I got half way through reprofiling my bevel and never got round to finishing it!.. Something I'll have to do.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this one, thanks for sharing.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post
    Great stuff Adam! Well done mate, nice to see.

I've done this same project (inspired thanks to GreenPete), looking back one thing I regret not doing was taking the scandi grind higher up the knife, it seems to get too thick too quick. Looking at your forth photo reminded me of that problem, it depends on how thick your metal is but you might want to consider taking it higher. What mm thick is it?

I got half way through reprofiling my bevel and never got round to finishing it!.. Something I'll have to do.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this one, thanks for sharing.
    It's 4.5mm after the smoothing. I was thinking the same thing with the grind, only trouble is the depth of the grind across the blade, is governed pretty much by that all important angle. My attempt at getting the grind nearer what it should be, has resulted in a half scandi, half convex grind lol. Will see how things go between here, tempering and the final edge.

Looking good! Incidentally, I find old files too difficult to acquire, so I buy new ones to make into knives. Once in a while anyways.

If you enjoy this project, buy a cheap 1" x 30" belt sander, it makes a massive difference in working the steel.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
    Looking good! Incidentally, I find old files too difficult to acquire, so I buy new ones to make into knives. Once in a while anyways.

If you enjoy this project, buy a cheap 1" x 30" belt sander, it makes a massive difference in working the steel.
    I've been using my 3" belt sander (you know the hand held power tool type) which is great for polishing up the flats, but a little tricky for the bevel I find. Could do with a bench grinder really, as well as the 1" belt sander. Oh well, can't have everything lol.

Hi mate it looks really cool
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Thanks mate. Just popped down to B&Q for some brass rod. £8.16 ???? I wasn't expecting that lol. Anyways, just knocked up a rough set of scales from American white oak, that I had kicking about the workshop, and gave the grind a bit of a tidy up. Next I have to make a wok forge to get her up to 800 degrees C, quench in oil, refit and finish the scales, make a sheath, and I'm away lol.

Although it looks more kitchen knife than bushcraft knife at the minute.

Nice job! I like the little false edge near the tip, gives you a finer point. Overall, it's an attractive knife so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown14 View Post
    Nice job! I like the little false edge near the tip, gives you a finer point. Overall, it's an attractive knife so far.
    Thanks buddy. I'm just hunting for a cheap wok to make the forge from now. Will keep you posted with any progress.