Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got those Crayfish blues

Got those Crayfish blues

Just wondered if anyone can help me. I bought three crayfish traps from Ronnie Sunshines, but i need advice regarding where to put them, what time of day, and best baits? Any help would be great.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Albert Einstein

without a licence you really shoud,nt put them anywhere.

my old man has just had a real job getting hold of the ticket to trap signal crayfish in a local park/carp fishing pond near us,...

i believe each trap has a licence too,...

i'll ask him the route he took and come back with more info,...
    Last edited by Raikey; 20-11-2010 at 08:22 PM.

A half opened tin of tuna in brine works wonders for crayfish.

Man, you guys have such tough rules over there for everything. Over here we may need a fishing license, that's it, but there is nothing written regarding catching crayfish in terms of license, daily amount, etc. If anything, they are considered pests, so likely we could catch as many as we want per day without even a question.

Alone in the Wilderness

crayfish

here in the us we just use a chicken neck or the gizzards or liver. and just put it in an area where theres alot of shelter for the crayfish hide under and leave it.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Hi Guys

Believe it or not, they are considered pests in the UK too, owing to the fact that they are non indigenous imports from North America, but in order to control the spread of them their capture has been licensed.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Crayfish Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Hi Guys

Believe it or not, they are considered pests in the UK too, owing to the fact that they are non indigenous imports from North America, but in order to control the spread of them their capture has been licensed.

Martin
    Yeah, adding to that; the reason there is probably strict licensing required is because our native white crayfish are now endangered because of the non-native invaders, so I'm guessing they are trying to prevent people from wrongly catching the native-whites that are in trouble (hence it's illegal to do so).

If it was my choice I wouldn't have such tight legislation, all we need is a very small bit of education, if you want to catch Crayfish (here in the UK) it would be nice if there was a really simple test that people had to do in order to be able to catch them; "Here's two models the American & the Native-White, which one's the American?" - Then your informed your only allowed to catch that one ... nothing against the Americans of course
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

That's easy, the American one is more arrogant, the native one stops doing crawfish stuff for a cup of tea once in a while. Lol

I did some searching around the Ontario laws, it basically mentioned the non-native crawfish and the native ones, but nothing as far as regulations goes.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business...02_166922.html

I guess it didn't occur to us that people will actually catch them to eat, literally the general concensus is they are bait, right up there with frogs, worms and minnows.
    Last edited by CanadianMike; 21-11-2010 at 01:39 PM.

???

Does it make a difference if I'm doing it with the permission of the landowner? I dunno, not only are they American, they're politicians hiding behind red tape!!!
    What about diplomatic immunity?
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Albert Einstein

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryBeaner View Post
    Does it make a difference if I'm doing it with the permission of the landowner? I dunno, not only are they American, they're politicians hiding behind red tape!!!
    What about diplomatic immunity?
    Whether you have the permission of the landowner or not, you still need a license. It's the same for coarse fishing.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.