Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Help for the homeless

Quote Originally Posted by bencasey2001 View Post

I swore my oath to the Queen not the goverment
    snap!
    [

Tribal Elder
    What a load of horse, everyone is willing to talk big when it comes to the military and how we look after the guys who more or less get put in the crappiest situations ever for, lets face, usually oil when we are told its for freedom or justice, then when they come back and all they can see when they shut their eyes is their best mate laying in bits...and the government have nothing for them? I was talking to two people today who both have family members with differing PTSD issues who are pretty much handicapped. All this and they are trying to stick my dad back into work although he is mostly incapacitated with mixed connective tissue disease whilst I know more than a few people who wont get off the dole and tell their doctor they **** the bed for £120 a week and a free house....

Really gets me quite angry

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkillphil View Post
    Totally 100% agree there Ben.

Fortunately my job was beneficial to everyone and I now take pride in serving the Queen, and indeed the people I helped. When I first left, I had no pride, and if it wasn't for Emma, I'd probably be living wild too. I look at the forces personel now with pride and also pity, they may not be happy about the politics surrounding their job, but they took an oath to serve the Queen and they bravely do that job diligently and without falter.

Upon leaving, many folks are left scarred and ill-equipped for civilian life. This is the single greatest failing of the armed forces. They spend years tuning their personel to adapt to life in the forces and do not even attempt to help re tune them to civilian life upon leaving.
    It took me months to adjust and in that time I experienced anxiety, hatred of society and a longing to be alone. Without Em, I wouldn't have made it through this transition.

I like the idea of some form of 'homeless' living training, a bit of urban bushcraft type thing for folks not wishing to enlist in post forces society...

What are you thinking of Ben? I'd be keen to help, any which way I can

All the best

Phil
    Hi Phil and all why dont we throw some ideas around I'm sure we will come up with something I remember when I was in we used to go to old ranges like Otterburn where they had the old tin huts nothing fancy but you could live. If we could get a place like that as it is close to nature the old ranges and well it could be sorted to run some bush craft/Urban Skills and if guys get peeved of then we coiuld all just hit the trees and swing the sandbags till the early hours?

Im still in the middle of my move but when I have a phone line and internet I will give the RBL and SSAFA a ring to see if they can give me some pointers then I will get back to you all But anyone with a better idea is welcome or if anyone can jump the gun then that is cool

Maybe one of the guys on here will have an old contact or two?

Ben
    Last edited by Ben Casey; 30-05-2011 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Spelling
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Maybe one of the guys on here will have an old contact or two?

Ben
    I have access to a wonderful 'base' in the peak district that may tick all the boxes, and an old contact that may get us a tad closer to the 'block' than we think.....leave it with me
    [

Quote Originally Posted by comanighttrain View Post
    What a load of horse, everyone is willing to talk big when it comes to the military and how we look after the guys who more or less get put in the crappiest situations ever for, lets face, usually oil when we are told its for freedom or justice, then when they come back and all they can see when they shut their eyes is their best mate laying in bits...and the government have nothing for them? I was talking to two people today who both have family members with differing PTSD issues who are pretty much handicapped. All this and they are trying to stick my dad back into work although he is mostly incapacitated with mixed connective tissue disease whilst I know more than a few people who wont get off the dole and tell their doctor they **** the bed for £120 a week and a free house....
    Really gets me quite angry

i'ts not the people on the dole that is the problem m8,the money that should be going to equip our forces and to look after them in civi street is being paid to pakistan which we all know to be an active enemy,also to devolping countrys like india and china,also the money we pour in to the eu.my ex partner is in the royal logistics corp and she is defintly not the same person anymore,it's takin it's toll on her,i dont think people or our government actually realise,but hey ho she will always have a place to stay and my support and the support of her family.like i said i could rant on all day and all night lol,what we need to do is to start a petition and lobby our government and make sure our tax money goes to were it's needed most and not all jump on the gutter press's bandwagon i.e the unemployed and people who claim a pittance on sick pay,because its a smoke screen, the majority of the country is working and british people have never been lazy or workshy
    Last edited by swkieran; 30-05-2011 at 11:52 PM.
    lifes good ,but even sweeter under the stars

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    I have access to a wonderful 'base' in the peak district that may tick all the boxes, and an old contact that may get us a tad closer to the 'block' than we think.....leave it with me
    Hi Mate that will be cool

Quote Originally Posted by swkieran View Post
    i'ts not the people on the dole that is the problem m8,the money that should be going to equip our forces and to look after them in civi street is being paid to pakistan which we all know to be an active enemy,also to devolping countrys like india and china,also the money we pour in to the eu.my ex partner is in the royal logistics corp and she is defintly not the same person anymore,it's takin it's toll on her,i dont think people or our government actually realise,but hey ho she will always have a place to stay and my support and the support of her family.like i said i could rant on all day and all night lol,what we need to do is to start a petition and lobby our government and make sure our tax money goes to were it's needed most and not all jump on the gutter press's bandwagon i.e the unemployed and people who claim a pittance on sick pay,because its a smoke screen, the majority of the country is working and british people have never been lazy or workshy
    Hi Guys I don't think we should argue the right and wrongs and it will change the subject I think charity or aid and help should be dealt out at home first then if we have any left over we can help the world If we stopped fighting wars we could save billions but sadly for us people in power no matter what country will always find an excuse for a war Most of it is drivan by depression and the big companies pushing govermen into it

War takes its toll but it is only now really being publishized as back in the days of the first world war and going forth up until about the Falklands if you didnt fight or lost your bottle you where a chicken. I think it is great that people have changed there ways and are starting to know what it is when a guy or girl dives for cover when a car back fires.

Ben

Hi Guys I don't think we should argue the right and wrongs and it will change the subject I think charity or aid and help should be dealt out at home first then if we have any left over we can help the world If we stopped fighting wars we could save billions but sadly for us people in power no matter what country will always find an excuse for a war Most of it is drivan by depression and the big companies pushing govermen into it

War takes its toll but it is only now really being publishized as back in the days of the first world war and going forth up until about the Falklands if you didnt fight or lost your bottle you where a chicken. I think it is great that people have changed there ways and are starting to know what it is when a guy or girl dives for cover when a car back fires.

Ben
    Hear ,bl**dy hear !!
    [

i spent 9 years as a paratrooper and loved every moment of it i got out as my son was born so had to choose to be a dad as apposed to a soilder once out it took about 3 years and lots of convictions for me to realise the prob was i just didnt fit in with my mentality the only problem with the army and particularly being a paratrooper is you are trained and encouraged to be aggrasive for years(to the point of actually being scared of yourself if that makes any sense) but once you choose to leave or are thrown out there is no "winddown time" to calm down realise your faults and just chill out and if you go "away to sea" your just back to square 1 dont get me wrong i loved enjoyed and am very proud of my time served just wish i had the same training when leaveing as when joining

Banned
    I am not denigrating anybody's experiences but I am puzzled as to how my Dad and thousands like him served four years continuously abroad with the 8th Army, was at El Alamein, the Sicily Landings and Monte Cassino. He was then unemployed for a year and eventually trained as a teacher but didn't complain except about Montgomery and readjusted gratefully to civilian life, he was a conscript as well not a volunteer. What was different then to now?