Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Help for the homeless

Banned

Help for the homeless

As well as donating money or volunteering for soup runs and things I wondered if there was something Bushcrafters could do for those who are having to live rough. Maybe fanciful or patronising but for someone living rough who didn't already know, knowledge of a brew kit they could get or assemble might be a godsend, for example.

Far too many "homeless" people are ex Services
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Yeah I dig where you're at with this. I don't suppose many of them get to sit round watching youtube and NBUK picking up tips like we do. I suppose we could knock up a pamphlet on recycled stovemaking techniques and get them distributed or deposited in homeless shelters. Meths is no longer drinkable like it used to be so that's not an issue. What may be however is the fragile nature of these stoves, and whether someone who may have psychological or behavioural difficulties, would be safe with them.

If they had info. on bushcraft skills they might be more inclined to gravitate towards "bush", and away from towns. After seeing a guy sleeping rough outside a local municipal buiding in Boston yesterday, I thought - if it was me I'd be heading for the country and woods full of raw materials. I suppose the uninformed mind "cannot se the wood for the trees"
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

apparently according to statistics 1 in 10 homeless people are ex service personnel !

6% of all homless people in London are ex forces.

this charity is trying to help

http://www.soldiersoffthestreet.com/index.html
    [

Hi Guys I think it would be a great idea to do something I can speak from experience being ex forces and since I have been back in the UK I have been homeless about four times Maybe you wont believe it but none of it was my doing once my own mother kicked me out

Anyway over the years when I was stuck like that I always thought I will just go to the forests and survive but I was never quite sure how to go about it and the UK with all these stupid laws now well I sort of bottled it. If it hadnt been for the RBL and SSAFA I would have jumped of a bridge a long time ago. Anyway what about a place a guy could go where he could be away from civilization and if he wanted sleep sort of rough but in a bush craft style with support and stuff there if he was to ask?

I would love to be part of such a scheme if I ever got the chance but it never comes

Ben
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Likewise. I ended up on mates floors, B & B accomodation and even a garden shed.

I'd love to help too
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Likewise. I ended up on mates floors, B & B accomodation and even a garden shed.

I'd love to help too
    I did offer my help with the RBL and SSAFA but they wanted case workers so I done the course but it wasnt what I was after I did write to the HQ's and say I wanted to help the homeless but they seemed more on the lines of case workers Maybe if we could get something of the ground it would be cool if anyone fancies we could give it a go I'm up for it and I could get in touch with them again if we could offer something

Let me know per PM or if anyone wants my number you can have it Im all for doing this

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by bencasey2001 View Post
    I did offer my help with the RBL and SSAFA but they wanted case workers so I done the course but it wasnt what I was after I did write to the HQ's and say I wanted to help the homeless but they seemed more on the lines of case workers Maybe if we could get something of the ground it would be cool if anyone fancies we could give it a go I'm up for it and I could get in touch with them again if we could offer something

Let me know per PM or if anyone wants my number you can have it Im all for doing this

Ben
    What are the RBL and the SSAFA? (I'm not ex services). Are they likely to co-op on such an idea do ya think?
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

Quote Originally Posted by bencasey2001 View Post
    I did offer my help with the RBL and SSAFA but they wanted case workers so I done the course but it wasnt what I was after

Know what you mean. All some guys(and girls) need is a sympathetic and understanding ear, someone to pull up a sandbag/swing the lamp/ have a brew with. m prepared to listen/brew up and a trained medic too.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by bigzee View Post
    What are the RBL and the SSAFA? (I'm not ex services). Are they likely to co-op on such an idea do ya think?
    Sorry mate the Royal British Legion and The Soldiers Sailors Airforce Association they are there for ex Forces guys to help them out if they get stuck basically. But there are loads more now since Afghan like Combat Stress and Help for Heros but they are mainly for the guys now whereas the Royal British Legion and The Soldiers Sailors Airforce Association are there for all ex forces guys cambat Stress is to but us old Vets don't get Combat Stress just bad dreams I think.

Im not having a go at the guys now but I had Combat Stress to see me and I dont think they understood me But I dont think Im easy to understand LOL