Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pellet Tin Stove

The stove is just sat on a chipboard wardrobe door, thought about the priming plate, might have a go with that next. The video seems to have gotten grainy as it was converted from mp4 to avi for some reason. Will dig about in my bits box for some glass fibre, I have some from a body repair kit somewhere.

Thanks for the input Paul, this stove really needs advice to get it to work acceptably lol.

Adam
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Oh that bit that looks like a pie tin is the aluminium foil tape around the tin, to seal the lid properly (hoping it would help pressure build up).

ahh.. yes i can see it's aluminim tape now.

I think problem with the stove as much as anything is the width to height ratios.

Center hole is fairly small diameter but center funnel is tall by comparison and mainly brass so it's possibly not getting much oxygen and it's producing a small flame thats trying to pump heat into the brass as a means to get heat into the liquid fuel to vapourise it.

The stove height to width ratio could also be stopping heat from the center getting to the outside walls so inhibiting vapourisation.

Hence, external priming might be the answer. If not, then we can have another think :-)

One more idea... create a small gap between pot support and pot, maybe 2/3 mm and once running, this will allow possible fine flame ring from top also. a bit of "v" shaped 6" nail laid on it's side should do it as a quick test. Depends on how purist you want to be with the pressurised jet stove principle vs. wanting to boil water...!
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

I was thinking the same thing with the physical dimensions of the tin, as well as the materials utilised in it's construction. Have a narrower, taller, pellet tin that I may try a Mk2 version with, and replacing the brass lamp holder, with an ali tube of some kind.

As for the burner/pot gap, I'm not usually a fan of this method, but the thought did cross my mind. More testing is on the cards for this fun filled weekend haha.

Well good luck with mk2.

I've also been on a quest for top jet pressurised stove with integral pot stand and what I was thinking was to take a poundland alu drinks bottle like you already used for your white box clone and to use the top swept curve top section with holes in the swept curve neck pointing upwards, stuff a bit of glass insulation inside and somehow force onto a bottom section so the stove looks like a pottery kiln shape. don't know diameters cus haven't got around to getting hands-on with it yet but maybe a tin can as a base if the interference fit of top & bottom drink bottles is too great.

Would probably need external priming and a collar on the neck top to widen the pot support... or cut a bit off the neck lower down.

Ahhh.. you've got me started now, where's the garage keys...!

haha, I will be looking forward to seeing that. Think I have a mental image of what you wish to achieve. The small hammerite tins are a great tolerance fit for the poundland bottles. Maybe that could help in your project.

Here's an idea for another project: setting up a website called "recycledstovecraft.co.uk" ???
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

Quote Originally Posted by bigzee View Post
    Here's an idea for another project: setting up a website called "recycledstovecraft.co.uk" ???
    I think Paul would have to be one of the founders, with his stove history. LOL
    Good idea though, might do it when i get some free time.

Quote Originally Posted by crazysaint222 View Post
    I think Paul would have to be one of the founders, with his stove history. LOL
    Good idea though, might do it when i get some free time.
    I think we need a site called "recycledstovecraftsoftladstherapycamp.co.uk"

Quote Originally Posted by paul standley View Post
    I think we need a site called "recycledstovecraftsoftladstherapycamp.co.uk"
    LOL sounds more like our kind of site