Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pellet Tin Stove

Pellet Tin Stove

My latest alcohol stove construction. What do you think, any good?

The parts:
    1 x .22 pellet tin
    1 x Brass bayonet lamp fitting
    1 x Tea light holder (steel)
    1 x Tuna tin (not needed, but may help contain heat for greater efficiency)

As you can see, the lamp holder has slots already, so saves cutting any.

Hole cut to accept lamp holder, in pellet tin and tea light holder...

Tea light holder and pellet tin mounted on lamp holder...

Retaining ring screwed onto lamp holder, to secure...

Tin fastened back together...

Tuna tin pierced with old fashion tin opener and "fins" removed...

The whole lot fitted together...

Hoping the tuna tin mod will help contain the heat a little to save fuel. The tea light holder supports the pot/cup, but the tuna tin offers a little extra topple resistance if needed. Will drill the holes tonight and test her out tomorrow.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I'm reserving judgement till I've seen the test drive. I can't work out how this works.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Well drilled the holes and gave it a quick shake down. The tuna can heat retainer took too much heat from the stove to allow for priming, but without, it worked great. Will seal the two halves of the pellet tin to increase internal pressure, then make a short video tomorrow when I get a moment.

Loving this Adam, know exactly where you're going with it. I've come to the conclusion that you think like me with stoves. (not sure which one of us should be the more worried really)

Expecting it to work a treat buddy.

Hang onto the tuna can, i've got one just like that (church key holes as well...!) and I'll give you another idea for it.

I'm on a 'no pressure' stove crusade this week... watch this space for a new thread on trash can tinnies...!

Paul.
    Last edited by paul standley; 19-05-2011 at 06:09 PM.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

I'll keep it handy Paul. A complete tuna can works great as a snuff when you have meths left over, I found. Will be looking out for that thread when it lands mate.

There's something alluring about a freshly washed-out tuna tin that says "use me, use me -look how clean and shiny I am!"
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

Quote Originally Posted by bigzee View Post
    There's something alluring about a freshly washed-out tuna tin that says "use me, use me -look how clean and shiny I am!"
    LOL I see that in all cans...well...all metal containers or canisters now too haha.

Well...initial results are pretty poor really. 3m 31s to bloom, 30s from bloom to fully primed, 16m 10s from prime to boil, for 1L of the wet stuff.

Battery on mobile died as I was recording, so missed the last 15 minutes of the event.

The stove used 2 oz of fuel to boil 1 litre, so not an enormous amount, just took too long.

The video I did get will be on my youtube channel shortly and I will post it here when it's done for anyone wanting to see it.

Here we go lol, try not to laugh

http://youtu.be/HYWXNk_x1uw

Hi Adam, watched the vid. I like the idea of the vertical jets and once going, they give a good flame ring so for what it's worth, here's a few observations...which I'm pretty sure you'd have already though of since the test burn.

Looks like the stove is running cold and needs a kick-start...

If you have any, put a little bit of fibre glass loft insulation in the stove by pushing down the centre hole & out to the sides of the tin. This will help to soak up the meths and increases the surface area of the fuel (coats the fibres) which in turn makes it easier to vapourise at a slightly lower tempurature than normal liquid fuel.

difficult to tell form the vid as I think it's still being processed by youtube so current version is still grainy but if the pellet tin is sat in a pie tray/dish, then take it out of that and place on a square of cooking foil just slightly turned up on the edges a couple of mil. Use that as the external priming tray and put 0.5 ounce of meths on the cooking foil and light that to prime and the fuel inside the stove should ignite as the stove walls heat up from the outside.

Se how it goes...

Paul
    Last edited by paul standley; 20-05-2011 at 08:01 PM.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!