Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Are you a lightweight lugger or a heavyweight mule?

Quote Originally Posted by ADz_1983 View Post
    Indeed. Same principle as a condom. I'd rather have one and not need it, then need it and not have one.
    Don't need condoms......been neutered....and I am faithful
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Don't need condoms......been neutered....and I am faithful
    The threat of neutering is enough to keep me faithful

You can tie yourself in knots pondering what to take 'just in case' and as mentioned, there are certain items you should take, but hope not to use, the prime example being an appropriate FAK. But I do believe if you have been camping out for a reasonable length of time, in woods, on mountains and moors, taken a battering from the elements and come home smiling; then there comes a point where you can err less on the side of caution, taking bits of kit for every eventuality and instead put more faith in your own experience, skill and ability to deal with the unexpected, with tried and tested, multi function, core kit.

But each to their own.
    Ansum La

Quote Originally Posted by Kernowek Scouser View Post
    and instead put more faith in your own experience, skill and ability to deal with the unexpected, with tried and tested, multi function, core kit.
    Knowlege weighs nothing
    [

Trying to strip things down weight-wise seems to come down to taking less clothing and filtering your own water I'm finding. My stuff is quite lightish at the moment but comfy ! I could reduce some weight here and there but its a balancing act. If I wish continue, Lose 1kg for the sake of losing 5 hundred quid ?

Stay dry, sleep comfortable, eat and drink well. No need for hardship ! find your own weight ! whatever suits you ! Enjoy the outdoors !

The problem for me is not so much the weight of things, it's the bulk that is the problem. Artcic sleeping bags are enourmous, specially when the climate dictates artificial fibres over down. And most of my clothes are also volume huggers. So I am not really carrying som much weight...mostly it's just air that fills the bergan. Some can be overcome with a good compressions sack. But I still need perhaps a 100 liter bergan to carry my load.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Hi.

My name is Justin and I am a lightweight junkee.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Hi.

My name is Justin and I am a lightweight junkee.

at least you're not a purist evangelist....
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    at least you're not a purist evangelist....
    That just sounds scary!

definitely a mule, I want to know I'm ready for whatever comes my way. I don't even get on my motorbike to go to work without two knives, a folding saw, a good length of paracord, a hobo stove and billy, five types of tinder and some fuel, rations and drinks sachets. The car permanently has an army trenching tool (a proper one, not one of those cheap tinny things) survival bag, water, kelly kettle, fuel, tinder, teabags, parang, warm coat, change of clothes, tarp, bits and bobs bag, trolley jack and in it. Whilst I agree that possessing the knowledge to survive with nothing is admirable in the extreme, I also think there is little or no excuse for going out unprepared if you had the option to be prepared in the first place. SAR teams, RNLI teams and the air ambulances are mostly volunteers and are funded by charitable donations - it should be our responsibility to take all reasonable precautions before heading out into the outdoors because if we a**e up out there, not only are we messing with our own safety, we're messing with other peoples safety too who are coming out to help us.

I'll get off me soap box now! Most of that comes from my sailing anyway - too many idiots who have no experience taking boats out on the North Sea and having to call out the RNLI to bail them out of the cr*p!

Trapper
    I prefer to do as light as possible, fortunately work dictates that if required I could go either way, literally just the essential stuff or going back a few years with 120lb trudging over dartmoor! If I'm doing something for training in a "survival" type scenario I prefer to have as little as possible to ensure I put more effort into using my surroundings. Though carrying the weight when that situation dictates I can be sure my body and legs will be able to put up with it
    failing to prepare = preparing to fail

Pray not for a lighter load, but for a stronger back.