Thread: Tenkara - designed for bushcrafting ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hmmmmm I'll be careful here - I fish for seabass in the estuaries and creeks in this here part of paradise using lghtweight spinning rods and carp wagglers with the "local killer baits". My good buddy from the midlands is a bloody good fly fisherman from a float tube on English rezzy waters - he came up to my water last year with a Tenkara setup and outfished me on fast moving outbound spring tides three days out of four. Now, I said I'll be careful because his words were to the effect "you should have a go, it's not true fly casting as I know it, but given a bit of practise and technique I reckon you could take big catches in these conditions". Don't quote me on his precise choice of sentence. Over four days he took 11 very nice bass all over 16" with the top catch (after gutting on the bankside - we don't carry scales just measure for legality of catch) arriving home on the BBQ at a shade under 4lbs. Gotta tell you, as a man who only gets turned on by what he can eat when he catches it - it didn't look like no gimmick to me when in the hands of someone who had some idea of how to make it perform. I'm tempted, I have to say. Hope this helps Jack
    What the hell do I know about anything I spent 25 years chucking columbiformes into aero engines

Didn't Robson Green do something similar in his last series of Extreme Fishing ?

http://www.channel5.com/shows/extrem...s/episode-8-61

Watch from 15:58
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Didn't Robson Green do something similar in his last series of Extreme Fishing ?

http://www.channel5.com/shows/extrem...s/episode-8-61

Watch from 15:58
    Depends what you mean by similar. It uses a telescopic rod, but Tenkara is 100% artificial fly and involves a lot of casting and moving around just as British fly fishing does.

Interesting video though :-)

Graham

Jack,

That's really interesting to hear, there are several stories on the Tenkara forums about sea fishing and catching 16" fish on these incredibly fragile looking rods with no reel to play a largish fish so good to hear. It adds support to the reason for my original interest of it allowing you to have a "universal" fly fishing kit that could be carried in a rucksack while adding negligible weight and bulk.

Thanks,

Graham