Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for small compact fishing kit

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Absolutely brilliant workmanship there Andy.

Regards
    David
    [QUOTE=andy t;24955]Here's a couple of handlines i started yesterday,
    i've still got to drill them out, make a stopper, add some kit,line and a lanyard.
    These are made from sweetchestnut but i will be making some more out of oak,
    cherry and apple.

Thanks David.

I need to get myself a lathe and try and make one od those, andyt has started. unless he makes them to sell or trade
    you're only young once, but immaturity lasts for ever
    4 out of 3 people struggle with maths
    there are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't

Trapper
    Hi Gabrielo

You have been given some good advice from some obviously experience fishermen. However at the risk of people getting angry with me, I'm going to recommended that you take your money to Sweden and talk to the locals. Buy what they use and use it the way they tell you.

My reasoning can be summed up by, the locals know best.

I have over 40 years experience and I have been a guide and I would ask the locals for help.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    True.. local knowledge is always best
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Hi Gabrielo

You have been given some good advice from some obviously experience fishermen. However at the risk of people getting angry with me, I'm going to recommended that you take your money to Sweden and talk to the locals. Buy what they use and use it the way they tell you.

My reasoning can be summed up by, the locals know best.

I have over 40 years experience and I have been a guide and I would ask the locals for help.

Trapper
    Last night when I made my post it was late and I was tired so I missed David's first post.

Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello,
    I'd take along what rod I had that I am used to, then check out the local tackle shops.
    'Local Knowledge' is your best bet, ask around what's available once you get there
    bait,tackle etc.. you might even find you can hire a rod/rig for the day.
    I was sent this link which might be of interest?
    http://www.acc.umu.se/~widmark/lwfishxl.html
    Good luck anyway
    Regards
    David
    I should have just just quoted him and said “this”. So my post is rather redundant now.

Anyway, is there anyone here from Sweden or any of the Scandinavian countries who is a fisherman? I think it would be interesting to read what he/she has to say. I'd like to know if the Rapala lure (made in Finland) is popular there? Rapala lures are very popular here in Canada.

I have often wanted to have one of these kits I have handlined before but the line was just wrapped round a coke can but would love to have something more substantial for re using the wooden handles look great

Samuel Hearne
    I have a 5 piece rod spinning rod and a spinning reel that I have had over 10 years I have with it mepps spinners, toby lures, quite a few hooks of different sizes with some barrel weights of different sizes and swivels, with this lot I have fished the UK, Cyprus, Canada, Falklands, Kenya and many other places I like fishing and speak to the locals when I want to fish somewhere that I have never fished before, then if needed I will purchase what they recommend, but lucky me I have have only had to buy new lures ect oh and my reel is loaded with braid.

Alone in the Wilderness
    Would braid be any good on a hobo reel Ian?

Samuel Hearne
    Hi chris I would not use braid as a hand line as it is very good at cutting into the skin also when it knots up it is very difficult to undo, I have a small spool of 10lb nylon fishing line in my kit that I use for hook lengths and can be used for a hand line if I need to, hope this helps.