Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for small compact fishing kit

If you've never fished before, but you're planning to get most of your food out of the rivers and lakes.would it not make sence to buy a good travel rod ? they break down to about 600 mm and normal come in a protective case.you can get cheep ones spidercast used to do one which packs away very small but i am not sure if they are still on sale. its the spidercast deluxe travel system

Quote Originally Posted by ianh View Post
    If you've never fished before, but you're planning to get most of your food out of the rivers and lakes.would it not make sence to buy a good travel rod ? they break down to about 600 mm and normal come in a protective case.you can get cheep ones spidercast used to do one which packs away very small but i am not sure if they are still on sale. its the spidercast deluxe travel system
    ALDI and LIDL sell the fold away ones now and again I got some of my stuff there like hooks and stuff it isnt to bad
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

There are a lot of products that would suite as travel fishing gear. I just recently got a Balzer Devil Stick with 5-20g casting weight. Don't know if Balzer sells to the UK but they fold down telescopically to 36 cm.

But in your case i would recommend buying a couple of hooks, a few BB splitshot weights and one or two small bobber corks. You can either use that with a handline or cut yourself a branch of hazle or what ever is handy if you need a bit more reach. You can always dig a worm or a grub along the banks of the river or lake. And that will most certainly always get you a perch or a roach. I would not go pro on this straight away! If you don't like fishing afterwards and have spent a lot of money on gear that would be a waste

Here's my Strepsil container based based fishing kit.
    The "reel" part is made from duct taped wrapped round a few times topped off with two thick elastic bands to make the lips of the reel and then covered in a short piece of inner tube. I found this casts well even better than a hobo line I bought off ebay.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1307 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	3884

hey,
    that looks pretty cool! I have just remembered from my days when i lived in australia for a while that we used to have these handcaster lines!

You can get these as small as 10cm diameter which will fit basically any pack! We used these a lot and with a bit of weight they cast really far! With a sinking rig oder with a float both will work! Unfortunately these haven't much spread to the rest of the world. Luckily i still have two of my old ones in the basement.

The usually only cost 2-5 bucks! Aussies use these a lot from peers or boats without. On boats they can be very handy coz you have to handle long rods.
    Last edited by Primerib; 22-02-2012 at 04:28 PM.

I have something similar to your aussie handline. Got it off ebay last year. I 've seen them referred to as cub an reels on youtube. Not used mine yet

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I'd take along what rod I had that I am used to, then check out the local tackle shops.
    'Local Knowledge' is your best bet, ask around what's available once you get there
    bait,tackle etc.. you might even find you can hire a rod/rig for the day.
    I was sent this link which might be of interest?
    http://www.acc.umu.se/~widmark/lwfishxl.html
    Good luck anyway
    Regards
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by gabrielo View Post
    Hello,
    I´m planing a bushcraft trip to sweden next year. I will mostly get my food out of the rich rivers and lakes sweden has to offer. But i didn´t had any contact to the craft of fishing yet, so it would be nice if you could give me some advice what to pack in a fishing kit that should be not to heavy and also compact. I´d appreciate it also if you post some pictures of what´s in your fishing kit.
    Thanks
    gabriel

telescopic spinning rod and a variety of devon minnows and mepps.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    The one thing you can almost guarantee is that you will never catch anything when you want or need to, no matter what gear you have.
    Martin
    speak for yerself mate!lol

www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by andy t View Post
    Here's a couple of handlines i started yesterday, i've still got to drill them out, make a stopper, add some kit,line and a lanyard. These are made from sweetchestnut but i will be making some more out of oak, cherry and apple.Attachment 2597
    extra gorgeously nice!!!!!! very jealous!!!
    'Experience is the most efficient teacher of all things,'