Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for small compact fishing kit

Hobo

Ideas for small compact fishing kit

Hello,

I´m planing a bushcraft trip to sweden next year. I will mostly get my food out of the rich rivers and lakes sweden has to offer. But i didn´t had any contact to the craft of fishing yet, so it would be nice if you could give me some advice what to pack in a fishing kit that should be not to heavy and also compact. I´d appreciate it also if you post some pictures of what´s in your fishing kit.
    Thanks
    gabriel
    I´m running free yeah, i´m running free...

What kinds of fish are you going to fish for?

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    If you've never fished before, but you're planning to get most of your food out of the 'rich rivers and lakes Sweden has to offer'. I suggest that you drop some bags of food in before you start your trip. The one thing you can almost guarantee is that you will never catch anything when you want or need to, no matter what gear you have.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Hobo
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodTroll View Post
    What kinds of fish are you going to fish for?
    is there such a great variation in the fishing techniques for every single kind of fish? i´m mostly looking for sweet water fishes like the arctic char, selmon or trout.
    I´m running free yeah, i´m running free...

Quote Originally Posted by gabrielo View Post
    is there such a great variation in the fishing techniques for every single kind of fish? i´m mostly looking for sweet water fishes like the arctic char, selmon or trout.
    It does vary. Even the time of year can have an effect. If I was wanting to try to catch those three and didn't want to take too many things I would take a section of lures. Toby lures are good. You can cast these up stream and retrive fast - through the big deep pools and mainstream water (that runs fast and deep). Devon Minnow lures are good too. To fish in this way you need a spinning reel. Strong line - at least 10lb breaking strain. A folding landing net will help. A fairly strong short spinning rod and a slection of lures. (Different colours.) You probably don't need a lot else. Hope this helps.

For a small and compact fishing kit, I don't think it gets smaller than a hobo handline (aka Poachers Mate). Link to Song of the Paddle forum. Not sure if this is legal, but a small hook and a worm will very often work if you find the right spot.

I'd probably spend some money on a good quality spinning reel and then pair that up with a cheaper telescopic or small take down rod. A good reel is worth the investment whereas a broken rod is only a few quid to replace.
    Take a small box of lures that you know will work for your target fish, put a decent line on your reel and you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    For a small and compact fishing kit, I don't think it gets smaller than a hobo handline (aka Poachers Mate). Link to Song of the Paddle forum. Not sure if this is legal, but a small hook and a worm will very often work if you find the right spot.
    I noticed you commented in the link, a thought came to mind regarding fitting the cap onto the handle, instead of threads, why not do what is used for bagpipes, get the neck and opening close to the same size, then wrap with thin waxed cord? It'll seal the join well, and hold it together strongly.
    Last edited by CanadianMike; 06-12-2010 at 07:43 PM.

Here's a couple of handlines i started yesterday, i've still got to drill them out, make a stopper, add some kit,line and a lanyard. These are made from sweetchestnut but i will be making some more out of oak, cherry and apple.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd handline 001.jpg 
Views:	507 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	2597

Peasant
    when i go out i take this made from bits and bobs out my fishing gear