Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solo overnighter planned

i think on places like dartmoor the waters clean,because its so high up no farming chemicals can run down into the water courses,martin could proberly confirm this
    lifes good ,but even sweeter under the stars

Peasant
    Well, I didn't get eaten by the bears - but that's about all that went right!

sooo, Yesterday; Remember that nice knife I made? Well I didn't sharpen it all the way as, To my mind, it'd be better to finish it off with the 'stones. BUT, it took literally all day to do - I need a courser waterstone! So, I set off at last light near enough - deciding to judge whether I thought I had enough light when I got there, which I did - JUST!

Now, before I continue, I'll point out that I took my springer spaniel with me this time for the first time - in hindsight, taking a highly strung gundog that snores badly to sleep in the woods maybe wasn't the best of ideas.

So, I found a spot with plenty of suitable firewood nearby thinking I'd be out of light before I got round to sorting that. I got the tarp up and the hammock in the very last of the light and somehow managed to get quite a nice fire going (I cheated though and used my lighter), couple of cans of beer and try to keep the dog at least near me (rather than in a muddy ditch) and it's bedtime (doesn't time fly!?)

I had the dog in the hammock with me, I didn't want to waste her body heat and it saved her getting eaten by the bears, sorry - mozzies. She didn't like getting into the hammock one little bit but wasn't too bad when the initial swinging had slowed. But then every little noise and she was fussing, looking to see what it was or hopeing to chase it I suppose. Every now and then she'd drift off and snore her head off before getting back to fidgiting.

So, in a way I've enjoyed it but having had no sleep at all, I decided not to hang about this morning like I'd planned - I'll get out again soon, minus the dog! Sorry, no photo's - I intended to get some in the light this morning but my phone died overnight, doh.

Did you use the whole toilet roll?
    I just take a pack of tissues.

Peasant
    Eh?

Sounds a lot like the first camp I did with my dog a couple of nights back. Glad you had a good time. How much water did you use in the end? I always take 3 litres on an overnighter but end up throwing away 1 ltr.

Peasant
    took two litres in the end (was all a bit of a rush job packing as I was running out of daylight) Only used about a litre of it in the end, the rest was usefull for making sure the fire was out. Looking forward to not having to take my thick sleeping bag because it literally fills my rucksack (which is quite big).

What did I take,

Knife
    axe
    firesteel
    sleeping bag
    tarp
    hammock
    pot noodle
    sachet of all in one coffee.
    fork.
    Big bean tin.

could have done with a torch of some sort but got by without any problems.

Thats ok, when it comes to water its better to have too much then too little. I find the best method is to drink as much as I can in the car on the way to my camp spot. It just means I am peeing the whole time while I am walking.