Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coghlan's Pack Axe

Coghlan's Pack Axe

http://www.coghlans.com/products/pack-axe-1160

I ordered one of these from our main supplier of outdoor goods, for no other reason than that it looks interesting and it is quite cheap.

My expectations were quite low. But, having tested it at this evenings scout meeting, I must admit that I am a bit impressed:

- The fit and finish is nice: The handle is sturdy, comfortable and feels like it will stand up to quite an amount of abuse. The head is coated in some kind of metal coloured lacquer (which wears off rather fast). The nylon sheath is well made and tight fitting.

- The grind is good for such a thin axe, but the edge doesn't come very sharp. I suspect the 50-55 HRC to be easy enough the sharpen though.

- I tested the axe on smaller logs (5-15 cm in diamater), it performed surprisingly well. Very well actually, especially when considering how small and lightweight this axe is. I am quite sure this axe will split larger logs with the help of a baton - more testing will tell.
    I handed the axe to a few of my junior scouts (10-12 years), they enjoyed using it a lot and did a very good job with it splitting wood and chopping kindling.

- An interesting aspect of this axe is that it is small and handy enough to be used for whittling and more delicate woodwork. Especially after a good sharpening.

There is no way this axe will ever replace my Leuku or small Viking axe. But, for ultra lightweight hikes - and for scouting, where the I can't carry my leuku - I will definitely consider it as an option in the future.
    Last edited by JEEP; 14-04-2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Very interesting find, Jakob. It's kind of a crap-shoot when buying any Coghlan's gear; it can surprise you in a good way or a really bad way.

The heavy curve of the blade reminds me of an Ulu, and if it could be sharpened well enough, might even serve as one.

I agree with that; some Coghlan´s gear is utter s**** - yet a few of their items, like the P51 can openers, the steel mirror and this axe, are really good value for the money.

I actually thought ulo aswell, I'll have to try that out.
    Last edited by JEEP; 15-04-2011 at 07:45 AM.

I bought one of those within the past two years, never had a chance to use it, even less so since I go my GB SFA last spring, kinda forgot about owning it. Lol, good review though, glad to see it's not a serious POS like the Coghlan's machete I bought for fun and modified/rehandled with zebrawood last fall. Lol

It looks like a pretty decent piece of gear, but ive got a GB SFA now so i dont think i need another axe, lol. And are you sure it could split larger axes with a batton?

Robb
    Every mile on a river takes you further from home than every hundred miles on a road.

I hope thats a birchbark canoe in your pocket.... - I guess i should give some credit to Metal Mug

Quote Originally Posted by JEEP View Post
    I agree with that; some Coghlan´s gear is utter shite - yet a few of their items, like the P51 can openers, the steel mirror and this axe, are really good value for the money.

I actually thought ulo aswell, I'll have to try that out.
    Tut tut
    Surely you meant to write 'jobbies' Jeep ?
    Last edited by Kiltie; 14-04-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbC View Post
    And are you sure it could split larger axes with a batton?
    Logs of course, not axes

Ah ha, that answers the question well LOL. I may consider purchasing one still. will be interesting to find out how well it keeps the edge you will put on it.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

No, it doesn't answer the question, let me tell you where I'ms coming from, a PM sent to me by Martin (a forum moderator) after crazybrownnoser highlighted that I had used an expletive in one of my posts

Ahem

Language

Hi Kilite

I hope you don't mind mate but I've edited the word 'xxx' out of one of your posts earlier today. The problem is mate, there are loads of youngsters who get on here both on their own and with their parents. We've had a few people who have posted some pretty obscene stuff and so tend to take a zero tolerance approach to bad language so as to set an easy to follow standard.

For information xxxx, who posted the question about the food, goes to school with xxxxxxxxxxxx and is only xxxxxxxx. That's not to say that he doesn't use worse language at school but as the adults we are supposed to set the example.

Anyway, like I said, hope you don't mind and understand where we're coming from on this. We don't want to stifle free speach but want to make the place inclusive for all.

Any problems, please feel free to PM me.

Martin

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...gs...-Rice-etc.

Last edited by Martin; 15-04-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Outrageous behavior! I'll leave you to decide what to do with that Kiltie and for the rest of the community to make their minds up about you.

It is a matter of fact that no one reported your use of bad language, so why you feel the need to insult Adam is beyond me.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.