Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trowel

Hobo

Cool Trowel

If you ever are planning a trip just out camping or just a hike in a remote area. Try taking a small trowel, preferably not folding because full tang ones have more strength. You can sharpen one side of the trowel and use it as a hatchet and also it can be used as a hammer and you wouldn't belie that by being able to dig into the ground efficiently your job of building a well ventilated fire, a shelter/ventilated fire, driving stakes into ground, camps jobs, cleaning off branches (keeping knife edge cleaner for finer jobs) and a whole host of more things. try one, youll be surprised! What does everyone think?

Nice one.... Last year I purchased a trowel from a 'cheapo' store for 70 pence. A metal tang trowel with wooden handle & foam handle wrap.

I put a bit of a chamfered edge on one side and a serrated edge on the other which worked as a makeshift saw and works well for cutting out a sod to bury one's business so to speak.

Also works well around the campfire and as a lightweight hammer so Nature nut is spot on with this tip....
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Hobo
    How did you put that serrated edge on mate? any good for cutting wood?

Quote Originally Posted by nature nut View Post
    How did you put that serrated edge on mate? any good for cutting wood?
    hacksaw cuts 5mm deep into the edge of the trowel and 3 or 4 mm apart so you get a lot of little 'castellations' and then twist each castillation slightly in alternating directions so that you create a slight 'kurf' like on a real saw blade. Won't give a Laplander saw any competition but adds multiple functionality to the trowel.

will cut small branches 1.5" thick but that's all. The metal is cheap and soft so the sawing action is more like rough ripping of the fibres.
    Last edited by paul standley; 04-04-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Hobo
    still sounds pretty goood ta mate

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    I've never carried a trowel or spade to be honest, I've always used a digging stick and can't say I even need that often. I can't say I've had many situations where I've thought "I could really do with a trowel right now" either?

I've got my digging stick to dig, knife to cut & saw to saw, any other uses you could entice me with?.. then I might try it
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post
    I've never carried a trowel or spade to be honest, I've always used a digging stick and can't say I even need that often. I can't say I've had many situations where I've thought "I could really do with a trowel right now" either?

I've got my digging stick to dig, knife to cut & saw to saw, any other uses you could entice me with?.. then I might try it
    Will also double as a spork at a push..

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paul standley View Post
    Will also double as a spork at a push..
    lmao.. I know I've got a big-mouth but that's pushing it a bit!

A spoon or fork is something can easily be knocked-up in the woods.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post
    lmao.. I know I've got a big-mouth but that's pushing it a bit!

A spoon or fork is something can easily be knocked-up in the woods.
    OK Ash... I can see you are not convinced...!

I'll make a proper digging stick this weekend whilst I'm out and see how it compares. Not sure I could make a spoon or fork too quickly in the woods yet but could manage chopsticks.

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    I'm with Ash on this one, A trowel is just another tool that I would need to carry. For the sake of ten minutes with an axe and knife I could fashion a servicable trowel out of a good piece of wood.

Spoon would take me a little longer, a fork is just a notched stick with the notches pointed so fairly quick to whittle one.
    Last edited by MikeWilkinson; 06-04-2011 at 10:11 AM.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.