Name:	tarp 003.jpg 
Views:	2673 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	888Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tarp 007.jpg 
Views:	1455 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	889
    Just wondering if any of you guys had used or seen this tarp setup before, as I have seen nothing the same on 'tinternet. I've used a 3m x 3m quechua tarp, hanging off one extended trekking pole at centre point, with one guy line and 6 x pegs.

It gives a rectangular sleeping area for 2 (1 plus kid proven), and triangular storage area for kit. Bottom edge is rolled up at front and retained by re-cycled sock/tights display hanger clip/hook thingy clipped to pole near top. At night same edge is slid down and rolled up, being retained by winding guy line at free end round nearest peg. It has kept out Lincolnshire summer rain, which I think is a combination of pole being outside of dwelling and sloping sides. Supplied poles discarded giving 1kg mass and pack size of 2 bags sugar ish.
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Thumbs up

That looks superb bud! ... think I'll have to give that a go on the green. Enough room for 1man & kit then.

Just to let you know if people are interested in discovering new ways to setup your Tarp you might also be interested in this article on NaturalBushcraft: Tarpology.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    I like that a lot. I love tarpology and carry mini versions of the tarpology pages that Ash refers to, I've tried all sorts of different things but that is the first time I've seen that. Thinking I could probably suspend my midge net inside as well.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Thats certainly a new one on me, well done...get a video of this put up on you tube before some one else does and takes the credit.

very similar to the half pyramid setup, like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXyKlVKMwcc
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

great solution to the open side there with yours though, top marks

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crazysaint222 View Post
    very similar to the half pyramid setup, like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXyKlVKMwcc
    Thats a pretty standard configuration, the one in the first post is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by luresalive View Post
    Thats a pretty standard configuration, the one in the first post is much better.
    oh without a doubt, much more inhabitable on a wet n wild tarptastic trot

Thank for the positive feedback chaps. I was honestly expecting a dozen or so "we've been doing this for years - its the old standard suchandsuch setup"

I've only used this once properly on an overnighter but it did rain and the only reason my bag got wet was namby pampy pants here thought he'd use a thin poly groundsheet. I didn't realise it was sneaking under the edges of the tarp sides which put me in the middle of a "rain funnel". The yellow dye from the sleeping bag ran onto my beige kecks producing a lovely tie-dye effect for the return trip! It looked like I'd borrowed an incontinent pensioner's favourite breeches!

Most of the tarp setups I've seen are a pretty "airy" option which is fine for the five minues of British summer, or a foreign holiday, but wanted to create a cheap, lightweight, and simple alternative to a tent. I don't know how it would fare on the rongbuk glacier or somewhere, but the addition of rubber/elastic bands on the fixing points are a must for constant ridge tension and keeping the pegs in place.

I have now created a youtube account (cheers for the tip luresalive!), so I now feel obliged to create some "footage"
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

Quote Originally Posted by bigzee View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tarp 004.jpg 
Views:	1411 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tarp 005.jpg 
Views:	2260 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	886Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tarp 002.jpg 
Views:	2851 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	885Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tarp 003.jpg 
Views:	2673 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	888Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tarp 007.jpg 
Views:	1455 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	889
    Just wondering if any of you guys had used or seen this tarp setup before, as I have seen nothing the same on 'tinternet. I've used a 3m x 3m quechua tarp, hanging off one extended trekking pole at centre point, with one guy line and 6 x pegs.

It gives a rectangular sleeping area for 2 (1 plus kid proven), and triangular storage area for kit. Bottom edge is rolled up at front and retained by re-cycled sock/tights display hanger clip/hook thingy clipped to pole near top. At night same edge is slid down and rolled up, being retained by winding guy line at free end round nearest peg. It has kept out Lincolnshire summer rain, which I think is a combination of pole being outside of dwelling and sloping sides. Supplied poles discarded giving 1kg mass and pack size of 2 bags sugar ish.
    What a tiny football, in the pictures.