Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Tarp and first solo over night

got my nice new DD MC today, first step was to ditch the nasty black guy lines and move the pegs to my windshield. popped in my paraguys and placcy pegs so ready for the weekend.

@resnikov

Just noticed your crabs are quite far from your hammy, do you notice rain railing/wicking still? It always seemed to me that having the crabs outside of the tarp defeated the object.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by crazysaint222 View Post
    @resnikov
    Just noticed your crabs are quite far from your hammy, do you notice rain railing/wicking still? It always seemed to me that having the crabs outside of the tarp defeated the object.
    The photo dosn't show it well but I have 2 crabs on both side of the hammock. The set up is:
    Amsteel Closed loop (through the hammock channel) -- Crab -- Amsteel Whoopie Sling -- Crab -- Tree Huggers.

The crabs nearest the hammock are under the tarp so shoudn't have an issue with the rain wicking, havent experenced hammocking in the rain yet though.

Will try and post some other photos that show the set up better.
    resnikov

"You can do loads in 12 minutes. Suck a mint, buy a sledge, have a fast bath"

My blog & twitter

Quote Originally Posted by resnikov View Post
    The photo dosn't show it well but I have 2 crabs on both side of the hammock. The set up is:
    Amsteel Closed loop (through the hammock channel) -- Crab -- Amsteel Whoopie Sling -- Crab -- Tree Huggers.

The crabs nearest the hammock are under the tarp so shoudn't have an issue with the rain wicking, havent experenced hammocking in the rain yet though.

Will try and post some other photos that show the set up better.
    Sorry bud, just looked closer. I see how you mean, it's kind of like a quickdraw between the hammock and hugger. Least with amteel it won't wick so much as rail down, which means soon as it hits the crab nearest the hammy, it'll drip there. Thats a nice setup you have there, how much does the whole lot weigh in at? or haven't you had chance to find out?

Not sure how much it weighs, will dig out the scales and weigh it. The carabiners aren't the lightest, but cannot justify the cost of lighter ones at the moment.
    resnikov

My blog & twitter

What hammock is it Resnikov? I'm thinking of getting the DD camping hammock as my 1st hammock coz it's not too expensive if I don't like it. Also does anyone know if the camping hammock can be used on a nice night without a tarp? Will it keep out light rain?

Its a DD frontline. Not sure about the camping hammock and light rain, it might but dont think its classed as waterproof.
    resnikov

My blog & twitter

Quote Originally Posted by GwersyllaCnau View Post
    What hammock is it Resnikov? I'm thinking of getting the DD camping hammock as my 1st hammock coz it's not too expensive if I don't like it. Also does anyone know if the camping hammock can be used on a nice night without a tarp? Will it keep out light rain?
    Only the travel hammock is listed as "bivvi" waterproof, the camping and FL are untreated as far as I know. You may be able to treat it though, it's ripstop fabric I believe so anything that can proof man made fabrics should do the trick.

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    You need a tarp with all hammocks, unless you use them with a peapod or similar 'sock', the Bivvi is only waterproof on the base layer so it is still partially wicking, besides you don't want to use a waterproof fabric as you will wake up shivering drenched in sweat what ever the weather.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilkinson View Post
    You need a tarp with all hammocks, unless you use them with a peapod or similar 'sock', the Bivvi is only waterproof on the base layer so it is still partially wicking, besides you don't want to use a waterproof fabric as you will wake up shivering drenched in sweat what ever the weather.
    So basically ignore what I said and listen to the expert hanger LOL, I didn't even think about the sweating part

Thanks everyone and soz for hijacking your thread resnikov.