Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Hobbit

I not going to beat about the bush here, read The Hobbit. It is such a great book and it captures the spirt of simple travel so well. Reading it was a part of what made me interested in bushcraft. Another reason to read it now is that Peter Jackson as some of you may of heard has just started filming a Hobbit movie. So in a couple of years everyone is going to be going on about the hobbit even if they haven't read the book. Anyway all I want to say is this. "Read this book before seeing the film." It's worth it and it's not a massive saga like Lord of the rings so it dosen't take long to read. Anyway, enjoy!

yeah The Hobbit is an awesome book, first read it when i was very young as like you like you it is much more manageable than the epicness that is Lord of the rings

been meaning to reread for a while might have to get my old copy out

looking forward to the film as well, Martin Freeman really was born to play Bilbo

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Great book.. I would prefer to be able to watch the film first and read the book second though.. The film will never get in all the book has, so it could lead to disappointment when watching the film and not seeing a lot of what you have read. Like in the film Lotr, where huge parts of the book were missed out, like the Old Forest and Tom Bombadil.
    I am very much looking forward to the film though.

Read it first nearly 35 years ago. Shortly followed by LOTR. I prefer the book first, then the film - as the book first approach allows you to use your imagination - not somebody elses!
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by Realbark View Post
    Read it first nearly 35 years ago. Shortly followed by LOTR. I prefer the book first, then the film - as the book first approach allows you to use your imagination - not somebody elses!
    I hadn't thought of that.. Very good point..

Great book 'The Hobbit' it stretches my imagination! Can't wait for the film...
    There's no brew without fire.

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    I love this and LOTR, first read them with my dad when I was 7, had to read four or five pages a night to improve my reading and vocabulary. Think I've read it about 13 times since then.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Awesome book! One of the things that captures me about this book is the idea of very small population compared to the amount of wilderness. I could lose myself for years in Middle Earth

I first read the Hobbit and the three Lord of the Rings books when I was a boy. Now at 35 years old, I have at least one of the same copies that I had all those years ago, and still read them about once every couple of years. I always wanted to be Aaragorn/Strider the Ranger. He's the ultimate bushcrafter; totally self-sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown14 View Post
    I first read the Hobbit and the three Lord of the Rings books when I was a boy. Now at 35 years old, I have at least one of the same copies that I had all those years ago, and still read them about once every couple of years. I always wanted to be Aaragorn/Strider the Ranger. He's the ultimate bushcrafter; totally self-sufficient.
    I know exactly what you mean. I've read both The Hobbit and LOTR more times than I could count. Even though he's a fictional character Aragorn is definitely a real role model and someone to aspire to.