Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit

One of my favourite tales by Tolkien is 'Leaf by Niggle' from the book 'Tales from a Perilous Realm'..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tales-Perilo...1329172&sr=1-2
    There's no brew without fire.

Change of topic but still book related.... anybody read "the blade itself" and the follow up books.

These are well worth a read and thought I would mention.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown14 View Post
    I first read the Hobbit and the three Lord of the Rings books when I was a boy. Now at 35 years old, I have at least one of the same copies that I had all those years ago, and still read them about once every couple of years. I always wanted to be Aaragorn/Strider the Ranger. He's the ultimate bushcrafter; totally self-sufficient.
    I know exactly what you mean. I've read both The Hobbit and LOTR more times than I could count. Even though he's a fictional character Aragorn is definitely a real role model and someone to aspire to.

Banned
    But remember to take a handkerchief. The idea of the road going ever on really inspired me. The great thing about books like The Hobbit is that you didn't have to "play" being part of the book because in the woods you were actually living the sensations.

Maybe it makes me a bit of a geek but that rhyme "The road goes ever on and on " is always in my head whenever I start off on a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
    Maybe it makes me a bit of a geek but that rhyme "The road goes ever on and on " is always in my head whenever I start off on a trip.
    That is one of my favorites from the books. The Elvish stuff is more difficult...ha!

One of my favorite to ponder as I'm heading out for a bimble is:

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to."

I have read the fellowship of the ring, (a few years back) and what I like about it now is that a lot of the places in the book you can find similar places in Devon. For example the barrow downs, there's loads of them here. I'd better watch my back for barrow-wights.

Could be worse than barrow-wights. In essex there are loads of aw-wights
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

Banned
    To capture the feelings that may have inspired Tolkien try and see a copy of "The Countryside Companion" edited by Tom Stephenson (there may be others with the same title) published by Odhams Press, Can't see a publishing date but most likely pre 1939. Chapters include
    How to see the Countryside
    Rural craftsmen
    Wild Animals of the Countryside
    Weather lore
    Camping and caravanning
    Along some Ancient Highways
    etc

Have dipped into this book all my life along with another called Romantic Britain and enjoyed it every time. Oxbridge folk and publishers pre-war were all part of the same set of intellectuals who supported the National Trust, smoked pipes and had mixed groups of all genders on hikes and house parties.

Hobo
    Great inspirational book. Read it as a youngster and re-read it several times. Last time was a few years ago during a cycling-vacation with the kids. They were hanging on my lips to go on. Super stuff.

I hope the film will catch the feeling of the book. I thought Jackson didn't do a bad job on LOTR.