Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My kit list.

My kit list.

This is a list of kit I was using last year,since then it's changed quite a bit.Some stuff is heavier and some lighter now.The total weight is now less than 6KG

My kit list.
    I've just finished sorting my kit,it's now lighter than it's ever been.What I've tried to do is get it as light as possible without losing comfort and without compromising on strength and durability.Another main concern was cost,I don't see the sense in saving a few hundred grammes if it's going to cost a fortune.
    Her's what I consider the absolut minimum kit that I would need to carry for an extended trip not including food ,water or fuel which I'll go into later.

Pack golite JAM2 879
    Groundsheet half an IPK 270
    Kip mat karrimor ultralite 600
    Sleeping bag Blacks Technicals (-18) 1150
    Bivibag Highlander Hawk 770
    Tarp and fittings DD tarp Titanium pegs
    Para cord ridge line and lightweight guys 960
    1L water bottle nalgene 180
    1L water bottle Source 28
    Cook kit
    MSR titan kettle
    Lifeventure cup
    Vargo Decagon stove
    Tibetian spork
    Total weight 250
    First Aid Kit 146
    Repair Kit 108
    Bog paper 24
    Had wash antibacterial 200
    Towel 100
    Sponge 8
    Water purifying kit 7
    Torch+batteries 61
    Headlight petzl e+lite 45
    space blanket +waterproof poncho 100
    Waterproof jacket 350
    Water proof trousers 90

Total (if my addition is correct) 6327 grammes
    6.3 kilogrammes
    13.9 lbs

This is an easy weight to carry all day but does consist of the minimum I would consider for an extended trip.
    If I was out for more than a weekend then I would add:

Complete change of clothes (wear one ,wash and dry the other) 1000g

This would take the base weight of the full pack to 16lbs
    Still an easy load to carry.

Now lets look at food ,water and fuel.

I will be taking for each day:
    1 dehydrated main meal 150
    2 oat so simple and 10g of sultanas 70
    2 high energy fruit and nut bars 60
    1 bar of chocolate 40
    6 instant coffee sachet (nescafe 3 in 1 ) 30

total weight of food per day 350grammes

It's not the most imaginative of menus ,but it tastes good and is nutritious.
    Each day I will need a minimumof 2 litres of water,preferably 3 each litre weighs 1 kilogramme so 3 is 3 kilogrammes or roughly 6 lbs.
    I wouldn't be able to carry 6 lbs of water per day for a week ,I'd resupply as neccesary hoping to only carry 1 litre and use water where I found it.Most trips would be planned around the ability to be near water.

So now my pack has had added to it per day:

350g of food and 1000g of water,
    Which brings my pack weight to 7677g
    7.6 Kg
    16.9 lbs

Fuel.

I have measured my fuel use to include 1 main meal,1 breakfast and 6 cups of coffee per day and with the stove I use can safely get by on 500ml of meths for 1 week,this weighs 500g 0r 1lb

To travel for a week carrying everything I need to be warm,well fed and comfortable all I need to carry is

17.9lbs call it 18lbs

This is an easy weight to carry and still allows for extras I would be happy carrying 25-30 lbs on a long hike so There is plenty of room for extra weight.
    Now the big question ........Does it all fit into my pack?

Yes it does and there is still room for a lot more,I haven't even used the outside pocket yet or used the straps on the outside.Everything is packed inside.

If you can see a way to save more weight without spending a fortune tell me.
    I will be replacing the nalgene bottle with another source bottle or two that will save over 100g ant little extra cost.
    Just checked and believe it or not,The calorie count for my menu is.......2240Kcal

coffee 6x 73Kcal = 438
    main meal = 629
    fruit and nut bars x 2 = 460
    chocolate bar (mars) = 449
    sultanas (10g) = 42
    The recommended calorie intake for a man is 2550Kcal per day,if I add a pack of noodles to the menu the weight is increased by 100g and the calorie count is raised by 524Kcal.
    This will give me 2764 Kcal per day,allowing for errors in addition and maybe not having a chocolate bar every day and slight variations this is close enough.

All this adding is starting to give ma a headache.

OMG I've agreed to camp with a professional. Makes my kit seem old clunky and heavy. Your whole pack weighs just a tad more than just my camera kit! No way am I leaving my camera behind!

I'm not a proffessional mate,Just too lazy to carry too much.Idleness is a great incentive to find lightweight kit.

Being skint is the reason for my kit, though my camera gear cost me £6000. I don't use it all when in the field, unless I take a fully equipped studio with me LOL. Looking forward to meeting you and getting some tips and ideas.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Looks like a really nice set up there Chris. From a personal perspective, I'd want to be carrying more food (3000Kcal+) and water (at least 3l in the summer), especially if off the beaten track. On a 20 mile walk in the summer, I would need to consume something like 4 litres of water just to replenish what I lose in perpsiration.

Oh, and are you sure your waterproof trousers only weigh 90 grammes? My fairly basic Berghaus Deluge waterproof trousers weigh 390 grammes and I thought they were quite light.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

With the food I have plenty around my waist to keep me going,as I get into longer walks I'll stock up on higher calorie foods.So far all my walks have been in Wales where there is plenty of water to resupply and purify.
    The trousers are made by highlander and are just the very basic shell with no frills.I only wear them if it really pours down.
    I'm still learning what I can and can't get away with without compromise.

lol. We had one of our group with 9Kg in his pack and about 9Kg on his belt.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

My first pack when fully loaded came out at over 45Kg,I suffered with that and it's one of the reasons I tried to go as light as I could.

I'm totally with you on that. I used to carry a pack that made me feel like I was floating when I took it off. These days, my whole ethos is getting the pack weight down to the bare minimum whilst still retaining a fair degree of comfort which is why I don't go for cut down foam pads and the like. I'm sure we'll be doing a lightweight Dartmoor trip again this year; it will be good to see just how light I can get.

Martin

45kg? thats about double my heavy old pack, plus a few kg LOL. I don't feel so bad about having a 17kg pack for my Dartmoor solo now.
    Slowly replacing heavy kit with lighter kit, have my overnight kit, down to around 8kg inc food. Need to lighten it a little more to let me swap my foil folding mat (100g) for a thermarest (600) to be that bit more comfy when Im sleeping on the ground. One of the reasons I prefer to hang, being so much more comfortable.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel