PDA

View Full Version : Mini Survival Axe

richardfaeayr
11-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Is http://www.survivalaids.com/order1.php?pg=2823 any good, It seems like it is pretty basic and could chop some logs but im off for a week long ramble around the Isle of Arran, many dead trees and disgarded logs as the Forestry Commision has quite a few plantations, so I would like to know if anyone has bought it and it does what it says.

comanighttrain
11-01-2011, 03:26 PM
anything stopping you carrying a machete?

I wouldn't thing that thing would be particularly useful....cant say i have used it though

http://www.survival-school.org/Default.aspx?tabid=246&CategoryID=58&Category2ID=59&List=0&Level=2&ProductID=162 - cheaper, good at chopping, can vouch for it.

CanadianMike
11-01-2011, 03:38 PM
A saw and a good strong knife with a longish blade would be lighter, and serve you better if you baton the blade through the logs. A larger axe would take a while and a lot of calories to chop up, a tiny little axe like that would double the effort, as well as the amount of time.

richardfaeayr
11-01-2011, 03:51 PM
That looks even better than the axe, thank you. I wouldn't be using the hatchet for serious work only some basic stuff, as I would take a saw for the harder stuff but yeah I wouldn't want to waste extra energy after a long day walking.

Shewie
11-01-2011, 03:53 PM
I think for a first axe you'd be better maybe going for something like this ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-Standard-Axe-1-1-4LB/dp/B0001IX7HE

If you take that nasty plastic off and get rid of the varnish it will be a nice little user.

jbrown14
11-01-2011, 05:36 PM
That first mini hatchet reminds me of the mini camp axes made by Gerber/Fiskars (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gerber+axe&x=0&y=0). One concern of mine, other than the miniscule length of the haft, is what do you do in the unlikely event of needing to replace the haft? For now, as it is what was available nearby and what I could afford, I carry the Estwing Sportsman's Axe (http://www.estwing.com/product.php?product_id=1600). Down the road, when I'm making a lot more money, perhaps a Gransfors from Lee Valley Tools (http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?p=20129&cat=2,45794&ap=1) is in my future.

Kiltie
11-01-2011, 05:57 PM
A saw and a good strong knife with a longish blade would be lighter, and serve you better if you baton the blade through the logs. A larger axe would take a while and a lot of calories to chop up, a tiny little axe like that would double the effort, as well as the amount of time.

+1

JEEP
11-01-2011, 08:44 PM
If you want light and versatile I would go for a Leuku (http://www.samekniv.no/index.php?option=com_easygallery&act=photos&cid=63&Itemid=59).

I carry a Strömeng 8" Leuku when going really light. Together with an improvised baton it is capable of splitting logs up to 6" in diamater - aswell as being small and handy enough to handle most basic knife jobs (for the delicate work I employ my trusty Victorinox Spartan).

Imho. mini axes are more or less novelty items, having too short handles and being too light to actually be of any significant use for splittting firewood - though they may, depending on the shape of the head, be good for carving bowls, cups etc.

A machette is, as I see it, a tool designed for clearing a path through dense jungle and harvesting crops like sugar canes - and is as such of no real use outside tropical regions. A machette is only slightly lighter than a small axe, takes more or less the same space in your pack as a small axe, is less effective for splitting wood than an axe and is way too big and heavy for carving and other basic knife jobs.

swkieran
11-01-2011, 10:43 PM
get yerself a kuhkri knife,i dont like using mine cause its a work of art,when sharp but it does double up as an axe,they use them in nepal for everything

Fletching
11-01-2011, 11:12 PM
I used to use machetes quite a lot in the 'veld' in SA and they're good for for going light, but I'd probably have to join Jakob down the leuku route as they've got a bit more 'character' to them. I'll have to get me one of those now. Darn it!

Steve

CanadianMike
12-01-2011, 12:05 AM
That first mini hatchet reminds me of the mini camp axes made by Gerber/Fiskars (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gerber+axe&x=0&y=0). One concern of mine, other than the miniscule length of the haft, is what do you do in the unlikely event of needing to replace the haft? For now, as it is what was available nearby and what I could afford, I carry the Estwing Sportsman's Axe (http://www.estwing.com/product.php?product_id=1600). Down the road, when I'm making a lot more money, perhaps a Gransfors from Lee Valley Tools (http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?p=20129&cat=2,45794&ap=1) is in my future.

There must be a place down there that sells them, no? I see that the prices from Lee Valley (where I bought mine, might buy another because it's such a useful work of art) seem to be the same as other places, just curious your referencing Lee Valley in your post and it's one of my favourite tool stores (since I make knives, I buy a lot of sanding belts from them, among other things, and is my second home literally, which works since it's only a short drive my my house.)

jbrown14
12-01-2011, 01:40 AM
Where I am, in Syracuse, there isn't a good, high-end woodworking or outdoor/hunting store that would carry Gransfors within 100 miles as far as I know. I've never actually visited any Lee Valley location, just orderd either from the internet or via catalogue (best catalogue EVER!) :D I do woodworking as a hobby, and have gotten some handtools from them from time to time, and given my wife a wish list or two to help me along. I have a set of their black and yellow handled chisels, the new dovetail saw they came out with a couple of years ago, and a bunch of layout and marking tools. Super, high quality tools, reasonable prices, great service. Can't beat all that.
Regards! Josh

JEEP
12-01-2011, 08:08 AM
I used to use machetes quite a lot in the 'veld' in SA and they're good for for going light, but I'd probably have to join Jakob down the leuku route as they've got a bit more 'character' to them. I'll have to get me one of those now. Darn it!

Steve

Yes you do - you really need one, trust me :p

As I see it, a Leuku is something in between a large knife and a machette; small enough to be a knife yet large enough to be a machette, depending on the need.
A leuku has the added advantage of being far less offending to the public eye than a machette, that is at least the case here in Denmark. Though, that may offcourse simply be due to the Leuku's Scandinavian origin, it may be a really big knife, but the design is recogniseable as something that is not a weapon. Of course there is always the ever growing group of misguided of people, frightened by the media into viewing any knife as a weapon, but you can't really win there anyways and luckily you rarely meet people of that persuasion outdoors.

comanighttrain
12-01-2011, 09:24 AM
A machette is, as I see it, a tool designed for clearing a path through dense jungle and harvesting crops like sugar canes - and is as such of no real use outside tropical regions. A machette is only slightly lighter than a small axe, takes more or less the same space in your pack as a small axe, is less effective for splitting wood than an axe and is way too big and heavy for carving and other basic knife jobs.

You should get one (the one I posted is the one I use) I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. It makes fairly short work of most cutting tasks and cross cutting with it is often more efficient for larger bits of wood than sawing. Obviously not as efficient as a splitting axe for splitting big wood but really goes through medium and small wood surprisingly easy.

KERNOW KELT
12-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Is http://www.survivalaids.com/order1.php?pg=2823 any good, It seems like it is pretty basic and could chop some logs but im off for a week long ramble around the Isle of Arran, many dead trees and disgarded logs as the Forestry Commision has quite a few plantations, so I would like to know if anyone has bought it and it does what it says.

If price is an issue? What about an ex army GOLOK ? They are tough, cheap to buy and available all over the UK !

KERNOW KELT
12-01-2011, 09:56 AM
We have a very similar small hatchet that the Mrs use's at home... Its marked Wilkinson sword on the ABS type haft, also marked FISKARS FINLAND... does the job here at home, feeding the woodburner.
Alas I have never used it outdoors,so cant help you there.
It was purchased from AMAZON for 11GBP, ''on special" so says the Memshaib !

CanadianMike
12-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Got that right! You should see the store in person. :D

Mouldsy
12-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Yes you do - you really need one, trust me :p

As I see it, a Leuku is something in between a large knife and a machette; small enough to be a knife yet large enough to be a machette, depending on the need.
A leuku has the added advantage of being far less offending to the public eye than a machette, that is at least the case here in Denmark. Though, that may offcourse simply be due to the Leuku's Scandinavian origin, it may be a really big knife, but the design is recogniseable as something that is not a weapon. Of course there is always the ever growing group of misguided of people, frightened by the media into viewing any knife as a weapon, but you can't really win there anyways and luckily you rarely meet people of that persuasion outdoors.

I agree mate the Leuku is a cracking camp knife, it will serve all your needs to make camp.

comanighttrain
12-01-2011, 08:01 PM
but you can't really win there anyways and luckily you rarely meet people of that persuasion outdoors.

yeah they are usually glued to the television waiting for swine flu to wipe us out

CanadianMike
13-01-2011, 01:18 AM
If price is an issue? What about an ex army GOLOK ? They are tough, cheap to buy and available all over the UK !

I'd give my left nut for one of those if I could find cheap. Guess I should start looking and save my left nut, eh?

Kiltie
13-01-2011, 05:59 AM
All tools have different applications suited to different things, here's a good vid which shows how some tools are used to better effect in certain applications

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TngkZmnqLHA&feature=related

JEEP
13-01-2011, 06:55 AM
You should get one (the one I posted is the one I use) I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. It makes fairly short work of most cutting tasks and cross cutting with it is often more efficient for larger bits of wood than sawing. Obviously not as efficient as a splitting axe for splitting big wood but really goes through medium and small wood surprisingly easy.

I have a machette quite similar actually, made by Herbertz I belive. I have had it for quite a few years - and I have used it on a few short hikes. It's just not my kind of tool - though it may of course be just the thing for others.

comanighttrain
13-01-2011, 07:55 AM
ahhh Yeah, mine is a different shape

http://www.gunseeker.co.uk/assets/images/6515de1d833d2c5c.jpg

more weight at the top, Possibly why I like it for chopping

KERNOW KELT
13-01-2011, 11:12 AM
I'd give my left nut for one of those if I could find cheap. Guess I should start looking and save my left nut, eh?

Hi Mike, I dont have the contacts I once had, but I can keep my eye out for you, if anything comes up.. will let you know?!
I dont know how much it would cost to ship a British Army Golock to Canada ?
On a positive thought..... I am more than happy for you to keep your left Nut !!!:D

tereba nessa

Dave

KERNOW KELT
13-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Is there anyone out there with the ability to put a pic of the British Army Golok on this thread?
I am as stupid as a Goat,.....I would'nt know where to start :ashamed:

Martin
13-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Is there anyone out there with the ability to put a pic of the British Army Golok on this thread?
I am as stupid as a Goat,.....I would'nt know where to start :ashamed:

Even easier, go to Google Images and search 'British Army Golok'. You'll see loads there. :)

Martin

CanadianMike
13-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Hi Mike, I dont have the contacts I once had, but I can keep my eye out for you, if anything comes up.. will let you know?!
I dont know how much it would cost to ship a British Army Golock to Canada ?
On a positive thought..... I am more than happy for you to keep your left Nut !!!:D

tereba nessa

Dave

Thanks Dave, that would be interesting. Knowing me though, I'd end up making one. Lol

Just found a bunch on ebay, I may see about dusting off my paypal account. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRITISH-ARMY-PATTERN-GOLOK-MACHETE-BUSHCRAFT-DPM-SHEATH-/160448405016

KERNOW KELT
13-01-2011, 12:19 PM
I have a BA Golok mate....
The photo was for a comparison to the other styles being pictured on this thread..........
As I said earlier, when it comes to this inter-web thingy... I am as daft as a brush!

David

KERNOW KELT
13-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks Dave, that would be interesting. Knowing me though, I'd end up making one. Lol

Just found a bunch on ebay, I may see about dusting off my paypal account. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRITISH-ARMY-PATTERN-GOLOK-MACHETE-BUSHCRAFT-DPM-SHEATH-/160448405016
Good speech Mike, Cracking that you are able to make your own... The old girl I have is 1993 vintage,has taken all sorts of abuse and is still going strong.:o

KERNOW KELT
13-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Hi Mike,
just had a lookon the ebay link you sent.....$52 ABOUT 35GBP ... thats both nuts mate !!!

CanadianMike
13-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Ya, true, but for me to make my own, including a leather sheath, would cost me about the same as far as materials go. But, at least it'd be mine and I'd have control over type of wood handle and steel.

richardfaeayr
13-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Thanks, guys, I'll probably enjoy and peform better with the products you all linked.

Adam Savage
16-03-2011, 01:38 PM
I'd go for either a small hatchet and put a decent edge on it, as the cheap ones never have a decent edge from the store, or a real parang. these have multiple cutting grinds for different jobs, as well as the weight to split firewood

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_0Pe-fAsXjvU/SliLH9bdDrI/AAAAAAAAAVU/RfXiYjjlE04/s400/Parang+description.jpg

Ferrell freddy
20-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Here are a few bits from my collection, luckily I was in a position to pick up the machete free and also more recently the axe. Used the machete's at work a few times and to be fair I don't like them, the Khukuri I bought from the royal ghurka rifles PRI Shop when deployed with them in Kenya, sharpens almost as easy as my Mora, keeps a good edge and makes short work of delicate carving right up to chopping logs. my first choice up to now but I haven't had much use out of the Axe yet. Anyone had much experience with the Estwing? 8566

David_JAFO
20-05-2013, 08:42 PM
hello,
I've seen these steer clear BTW :shocked:
Regards
David

shepherd
22-05-2013, 08:46 AM
depending on how much you have to spend i find a good quality machete/parang is the best option.. i carry a parang most of the time and it has never let me down or come up short, great for chopping but have batoned heavier wood with it too.. works a treat.

EDIT: i use a gerber parang, and have not got multiple edges like mentioned above ^ .. i chose to have one continuous edge as i wouldnt need to use it for finer tasks....

FishyFolk
22-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Just a word of warning on the Leuku. It is actuyally not an axe, nor a machete. And while it is quite strong, it's got a stick tang, so if you baton it to hard, the shaft may come lose. But if you want the look, and don't care to much abaout the traditions surrounding what a Leuku should be, Brusletto, who makes the blades for the Knivsmed Strømeng leuku has made a full tang "leuku" in 440C stainless steel. Been droolling at it for a while, but cant justify it as I allready own the Strømeng Leuku and is happy with it. But this one would be a better choice for a bushcrafter...specially if you are the kind that is prone to using your knives as axes...

http://www.brusletto.no/uploads/villmann_spesialversjon_f_400_t4.jpg

Tommy
22-05-2013, 02:26 PM
imho. Mini axes are more or less novelty items, having too short handles and being too light to actually be of any significant use for splittting firewood - I agree.

a machette is, as i see it, a tool designed for clearing a path through dense jungle and harvesting crops like sugar canes - and is as such of no real use outside tropical regions. A machette is only slightly lighter than a small axe, takes more or less the same space in your pack as a small axe, is less effective for splitting wood than an axe and is way too big and heavy for carving and other basic knife jobs. I agree.

baitman
22-05-2013, 03:08 PM
folding saw is a much better option than a small axe. if you need a big axe, take a chainsaw :shocked:

Silverback
22-05-2013, 03:20 PM
is there a prize for ressurection of the oldest thread ? ;)

paulthefish2009
22-05-2013, 04:26 PM
folding saw is a much better option than a small axe. if you need a big axe, take a chainsaw :shocked:

Totaly agree

Tommy
22-05-2013, 05:52 PM

If by small axe you mean the mini's then yes I agree. But if by small axe you mean an axe that is about half the size of a regular axe then I disagree. A half size axe will out perform a buck saw let alone a little folding saw.

If weight isn't an issue do yourself a favour and take an axe because chopping beats the heck out of batoning.

But in terms of survival you only need an axe if you are in the north during the winter.

Ferrell freddy
22-05-2013, 08:24 PM
is there a prize for ressurection of the oldest thread ? ;)

My pleasure! From your name... ex R.E?